What's the deal with all newbies first builds.?

GoldenMotor.com

redheadsticky

Apr 4, 2012
south dakota
I just got done viewing 17 pages of threads in laws and legislation section. It strikes me to hear more than enough new bikers wanna jump into a 99 cc or even higher cc first build. Then when they take it out on the town they either blow the frame/break something or get hassled by the cops. It's no wonder 17 pages are full of threads saying " I got a ticket" or harassed by cops. Wouldn't it be better to build a nice 4 stroke 49 cc Honda or HS to ride FIRST or if your 2 stroke grind the damn plate off and don't BLOW by cops with no helmet doing 35 or more MPH. Stay within 66-80 cc motors. All bikes with motors will be illegal if this kind of thinking takes place. Hey I know for my first build I'll build a 212 cc Walmart bike, crash or kill myself then wonder why the next guy can't build his 49 cc Honda 4 stroke and enjoy the hobby/ sport. Let's get real newbies read before u build. All the threads here not just what exp builders use to make a kick ass higher than normal cc rocket. Just my opinion in the threads I'm reading. For my first build I took tons of info from the exp guys and the thing to do is listen. .duh.

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I agree with most everything you said, but in many places damage has already been done. If you look over the law section you will probably find more and more places outright banning the use of motorized bicycles of any sort. Or it may become almost impossible to use one. It may continue to only get worse. There may not be anything that can be done either.

redheadsticky

Apr 4, 2012
south dakota
That's why I'm hoping any bike builders newbies, who read this there's a lot more to this hobby/sport than just buying a motor strapping it on a bike and zooming in and out of traffic. I'm hoping to read, hey newbie here and I'm starting my first build, I've been reading threads before I get started to see just what this is all about. NOT I just got back from harbor freight wow 99 bucks for a motor, JUNK. I need a bike, ....... Forget lights,laws,helmets, proper driving bike rules of road, I got me a motor and now I need a bike....etc.etc.etc outta my wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. .duh.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Buyers, like myself should use due diligence BEFORE purchasing a engine to be installed on a motorized bike, and research the law. Only when I found out what the law was here, did I go out and buy a kit. Had they of been outlawed here I'd opt for electric. This only makes COMMON sense (yea I know). It's just like when I was fishing in the Gulf, and I wanted to target Tuna. I did my research and found out that the boat needed a special permit to boat a Tuna and found out what the creel was per person.....then I went out. NO one has a reason to complain about receiving a ticket, if MB are outlawed in their jurisdiction. The only problem might be those gray areas. People know that DUI can bring a ticket, but they still keep doing it.....doesn't really make sense does it?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
The larger cc's should be for the track.You need to have the right tools and be able to use them to build a safe Racebike.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have to admit most of my bikes are in the outlaw area by engine size. Other wise they are in compliance as well as the requirements for the operator. I constantly pass by the locals and always give and get a wave. They are well aware Im riding an MB. Ive never had an issue. I Guess if I was rippin it up and riding excessively fast it would be a different matter. Seems what you ride and how is as improtant as the legality. I assure you I could get myself quickly stopped on a totally legal bike if it was excessively loud and being ridden too fast. I have some straight pipe 4strokes, and a really fast MB. I stay out of town with em. I dont encourage being illlegal, but in my area it takes a 100ccs to make a practical MB and I takes my chances and ride accordingly.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
hummm wonder if my 31cc friction drive motorized bicycle that has a max of 20mph
is to much motor for build #2 ... laff

to lead by example is the best and most respected way to lead

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I don't necessarily exercise an appropriate level of common sense and judgement even though I may know what is superior, easier, or to avoid conflict with the powers that be.

From time to time they squish me like a bug on the street.

To date, I've always gotten up and went back at the battle!
Slower now, than in the past...

:)
rc

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
If MB'ING is getting banned in your area, its usually due to a small group of self righteous nay sayers have lobbied the local legislation.
IT IS YOUR RIGHT TO DO THE SAME!!
rather than harpping on your fellow rider for the changed laws, go to your capitol, public house, or whatever den your local legislators congregate in, AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
...JUST SAYIN...I LIKE RIDING DIRTY, MAKES THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE MORE EXCITING.
...LIKE WHEN YOU STILL HAD RIGHTS AND BEING AMERICAN WAS AWESOME! WE WERE FREE, AND ALLOWED TO HAVE FUN...

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
In my state (Washington) the State Troopers require a license & vehicle registration because it's a motorized vehicle. However when you go to the Washington State Licensing Agency they won't issue you a vehicle registration certificate because they claim it's a Bicycle! Whatcha gonna do? Anybody know where I can get a 2 or 4 stroke Stealth Engine Kit?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
"its usually due to a small group of self righteous nay sayers have lobbied the local legislation."

THIS I would disagree with- this may be what it all appears to be, but I think it all beats , and has beaten, to the drums of Big Oil- who work sometimes very subtuilly to keep sane high mileage, inexpensive transportation off the streets, if it doesn't sell a lot of gasoline and make people jump for the high priced carrot they always make vehicles.

They'll say it's to protect the children, but it's about selling gasoline

The bicycle business as a whole has suffered much because of low key moves even inside the business itself- after 40 years around it I'm convinced-

I've written some here and on other forums about it, and hope to put a more comprehensive overview of it together-

It's also why we need to keep it sane, and not blow through stop signs, and keep it muffled down- actually better gearing makes for quieter revs at speed I think.

redheadsticky

Apr 4, 2012
south dakota
Cannonball2 and Nashville kat got it correctly on this thread. Plus it's really for newbies to read. THINK of your build as you would want to represent the MB community, and fellow riders. I'm sure 90 outta 100 exp builders are cool, responsible riders. Got to be these bikes (good ones) for that matter cost money. Please don't just slap a Harley gold wing motor on a UNICYCLE and chime in to MB forum, Does anyone know where I can get a SEATBELT. IM new and this is my first build. !!.duh.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I agree with sticky. kind of. I say build what you want but be responsable with it. My first build ( a Taylar BTR 66cc) is being eventually converted to 100cc honda power. Highly illegal where I am, but Im not going to ride it on the streets anymore once finished. It will be a: take to car / bike shows, organized "cruise" events and occasionally, haul over to Cali for orginazed rides where they ARE legal. My new build Im just starting; will be a totally legal 49cc HS Felt build, for actually ridin around. Puttin a RD350 motor on a old mountan bike and doing the cut and thrust through traffic is just asking for it, and sturring up trouble for the rest of us. Keep it on the track or goin to shows.

redheadsticky

Apr 4, 2012
south dakota
you just said it velodrome your first build was a 66 cc. you have experience. the rest of your thread is true as well. i just want newbies to not think of these bikes from exp threads as SHORTCUTS. go slow, learn a little, build a bike have fun, move up in cc's when your ready. the thread that made this thread was..... i have a 212 cc...... 14 inches wide , do i need a wide crank with this motor.? come on , yeah he knows what he's doing.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
you just said it velodrome your first build was a 66 cc. You have experience. The rest of your thread is true as well. I just want newbies to not think of these bikes from exp threads as shortcuts. Go slow, learn a little, build a bike have fun, move up in cc's when your ready. The thread that made this thread was..... I have a 212 cc...... 14 inches wide , do i need a wide crank with this motor.? Come on , yeah he knows what he's doing.
+1