Taco Anyone?

GoldenMotor.com

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I bought an old cheapo mountain bike a month or so ago that had a rear wheel that was wowed at least that badly, it wouldn't turn through the chainstays. I loosened up the spokes and bent the rim somewhat back to shape pressing it down over a 4X4 chunk laying on the ground. After much flexing and retruing the wheel by snugging up the spokes I got it trued up pretty well. Less than a 1/16" of an inch wobble or out of round. I could have worked that last bit out but since I was giving the bike to a kid who wasn't going to put a motor on it decided it was good enough. It did take me a couple hours fiddling with the thing, probably could have bought an old bike for the wheels but it was a bit of a challenge and I had to see if I could get it straightened out.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah those type are pretty weak, but it could be fixed. It almost looks like the spokes were too tight by the way the holes look. I could be wrong though.

greasemonkey

Sep 24, 2009
Redondo Beach
My rear rim has a little sway to it. I'm just holding off for a while. I'm gonna cut up the frame and 3 wheel it anyway.
My chain roller pulled in and broke 8 spokes once. It sucked

BUT THATS BIKING

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I just put on a straight wheel after rebuilding and greasing the wheel bearings.
It had 10 bent spokes, 4 completely missing, and 5 broken.... I'll have to take a pic tomorrow. Surprisingly it wasn't to badly bent up. Complete accident waiting to happen though!

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
I was lucky when the chain locked up my rear wheel, there was enough water and grit on the road that the tire slid easily without damaging the spokes or rim, just like suddenly locking the rear brake. You can bet I check the chain each time I take the bike out for a ride.usflg