Mountain Pie - Trek 3500 with Smart Pie Motor and Bottle Battery

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
well i have converted pie trek to mountain pie. i used to ride mountain bikes daily. raced them ect. had a bad accident and broke my collar bone and didnt ride for a few years then i got into gas bikes and now electric. i have really missed playing in the woods, jumping ect which i never felt comfortable with a gas bike because of the engine mounts or the electrics because of weight and also battery on a rack which is not designed to take abuse. i ordered a golden motor water bottle battery for a back up for traveling across island and back just in case i needed it. after getting in the battery and feeling how light it is around 5 pounds i was pretty happy. then when i mounted it i was like its time to build an electric mountain bike. this battery mounts solid on the frame. anyway i took the smart pie and put a new alex rim da16 with black stainless spokes which helped with weight. then it was time to loose every gram i could. new headset and stem. get rid of all reflectors and misc stuff not needed. kickstand on their now just for pictures. end result is a pretty nice mountain bike. back when i started mountain bike riding the old cromoly mountain bikes weighed as much or more then this set up. i have been jumping and playing like a little kid and having a blast. the set up is only 36v and 250 watts which is European legal for those of you living in nations with restrictions. it does around 18 mph on the flats which is more then fast enough when riding single track trails. it would also be a great set up for city riding where their is lots of traffic. i have ridden the bike up a few hills that i would have had problem with back in my younger days and i made it up them. had to pedal hard and and the motor assist i was able to make it all the way up. i painted the battery to match the bike and it is also pretty stealth. i am very happy with the mountain pie!

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: Mountain Pie

The only thing I could suggest for this otherwise really clean, nice build... is perhaps a touch of green on the battery pack? It's soooo close to looking as if it was factory built, the white section w/the motorbicycling.com sticker already almost perfectly matching the Trek's paint scheme! (^)

...and it's so "stealthy" everyone is so gonna think yer telekinetic, powering yer way up that hill through sheer force of will >.<

I'd not inform them otherwise rotfl

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

been trying to find a flat green paint to match without any luck so far. if i find it i will do it l

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish

OH! SO MANY PIES! :) That just looks so good! I agreee with the touch of green on the bottle. But Dang; nice job Paul.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

I need to get off my laziness and do something like this, I have a 26er sitting with year old dirt still on it since I have been riding mb's and got too lazy to pedal. That battery is a good deal for its output and size for sure.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

If all ebikes looked as good as yours, they would sell a whole lot more of them.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

after stripping and repainting the battery 3 times i thought i had it about perfect. however after the paint cured and dried it changed color on me a little however they match pretty good when you see in person. looks a lot better then the picture. what a blast to ride. now that it is all cleaned up for the picture it is time to get it dirty again.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

It's looking awesome, paul!
I have to agree with wheelbender6. If they made E-bikes that looked as good as yours, they would sell alot more of them.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i took it by the airport today and put it on the luggage scales lol. not sure how accurate they are and it was 47.2 lbs. that is amazing lite for a electrical bike set up. what a fun ride

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I don't know what the average weight for an E-bike is, but I bet yours is lighter than my ICE bike.

Just an idea for double checking (roughly) the accuracy of the airport scale:
Weigh yourself on a bathroom scale, then do it again while holding your bike off the ground.
I'm sure you know how to to the math. Compare the weight you get against what the airport scale read.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

i checked the bike at home on the electronic scale and got the same reading. so i believe it is real close. under 50 lbs for any motorized bicycle gas or electric is a pretty good weight. i been playing in the woods with it and it handles like a dream. i got what i was hoping for and more

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California

I have been looking at electric bikes as a possible pedal assist. I like the hub motors, but have found a couple companies that use mid-drive systems, namely a replacement bottom bracket. I was inspired on Endless-sphere.com by a gentleman named Nader who has built some of the cleanest looking bikes. He uses a water bottle to hold the batteries and usually a tool bag for the controller. The bike that inspired me the most was his Bofeili build where he had to have the frame modified to take a Bofeili motor drive. I've found a kit from a Australian Bofeili seller and I am going to contact the US bofeili seller.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54799&stc=1&d=1356584426
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54800&stc=1&d=1356584509
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54801&stc=1&d=1356584665

http://bofeilinz.com/motor-kit.html
http://www.e-bikesusa.com/Index.html

Here's a link to Nader's builds on endless-sphere.com:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19872

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Attachments

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

had the ultimate fun and laughs this morning. i went to an area where people ride their mountain bikes. anyway this one long fairly steep hill i yelled to the guys in front of me that i was passing and went by them pedaling my tail off with the motor assisting of course. i heard one guy say what the **** and could imagine what they were thinking. both these guys were in thier 20's and good shape and here comes this over weight old man past them. i am able to jump this bike and really have fun on the trails and get a great work out. i am covered with sweat and all smiles. i have not had a person know yet that the bike is electric except the few i have told and those people had to really inspect it to make sure i wasn't kidding. time for work and cannot wait to play again

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA

You should try one.

One was all I needed to stop building gas bikes and build a better electric.