One of the rings is broken on my bike... how do I get more power from it?

GoldenMotor.com

Hard Core Biker

Apr 22, 2010
Sulphur, Ok
I have a 66cc bike, and I've had nothing but trouble right from the start. I had head gasket problems, and when I replaced it, the person helping me didn't realize the engine was aluminum and stripped it. I had someone bore out and rethread it since I didn't know how, but when we were sliding the pistion back into the jug, one of the rings just broke for no reason. Well, we didn't think it would be such a problem, but it hardly puts out half the power it used to, even with the leaky head gasket! How do I increase power without spending more money I don't have trying to get a ring for it?

Last edited:

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
You might be able to find something to boost power shortly , but with a broken ring the power would be short lived and you are better off to just fix it back the right way instead of patching a patch.

srx

Sep 1, 2010
MN
I agree, put the second ring on, you may of not put the ring on the right? there is usually a pin on my dirt bike engines where the ring gap is suppose to stop at in the piston groove. Haven't taken my 66cc down yet, 25 miles on is all.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
There is an anti-rotation pin on the piston that the ring gap has to line up with.

Now, the real question is how someone who believes they are a mechanic NOT know that they were working with aluminum?!?

Hard Core Biker

Apr 22, 2010
Sulphur, Ok
Now, the real question is how someone who believes they are a mechanic NOT know that they were working with aluminum?!?

Well, I'm not sure if he really didn't know if he wasn't working with aluminum, but some knowledge was missing or else we wouldn't have had that problem. I was replacing it by myself, he just kinda invited himself to help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Politely ask your 'helper' to leave your engine alone. "Thanks, but I'd rather do it myself so I can learn" would be one way to tell him.
Buy and install new piston rings. For less than the price of two gallons of gas you'll be on your way. Look for the anti-rotation pins Joe described. The ring gaps must align with them before installing the piston into the cylinder.
Trying to run the engine with one ring or a broken one is asking for engine failure that will cost you lots more than the price of fixing it right.
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I would also like to add that when you replace the rings make sure that you look at the inside edge of the rings a nd there you will se that there is a bevel on the inside edge make sure when you put the rings on the piston that the bevel is facing up toward the head and not down or you will bind the rings against the anti rotation pin andbreak them when installing the piston back into the cylinder, the rings are designed to go only one way so make sure you install them on the piston the right way to avoid even more headaches or you could end up with a huge wreck on your hands.

Take your time and really think every move you make through, and be very gentle when installing new rings or you will break them.

Until you replace the rings and get your compression back up to where it needs to be you will not have power of any sort......this is a must do... Good Luck with your rebuild

Last edited: