Pull Start

GoldenMotor.com

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My PK80 came with a standard pull start. Personally I find it convenient to use. As we know the motor will also still start by putting the bike in motion. One year later the pull rope will not fully retract back into its housing. So I replaced the pull start with one from BGF that is listed as a heavy duty version. This one has a braided cable instead of rope, and has metal internal pieces instead of plastic. Also, the bell piece that mounts around the magneto is of a shape that did not interfere with any bolt heads, no clearance issues. As for know, I am pleased with it and I think that it is worth the price.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
i just put one on my bike. i had to weld up the hole that the cable came out of and make a new one so the cable.comes out at the perfect angle. i also replaced the cable.win a non chinese, heavier guage cable. while i was in there i also gave the return spring a couple.extra turns.
i wasn't able to push my bike without lifting the rear tire off the ground, now i took the one way sprag off the centrifugal clutch,( no more kick starting) and now i can push it instead of shoving it in a bush when it breaks. pull starters ftw!

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Although I have never installed a HD pull starter(I do have one still in the box). I have seen two of them that have broken. Both had broken in the same spot. The post broke off completly on one and the other partialy broke at it's base. The housing is very thin at that point. Just for info!

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Your reply was helpful to me. I used your example and moved the rope hole to a better place. JB Weld filled the previous hole. The stock pull wire looked like a bicycle brake cable. Broke once already. This I replaced with a nylon mover rope. Prior to these changes you had to lean forward on my bike to best pull the handle straight up. Thanks.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Yeah, that new upgraded one is set up way better than the earlier version of them, with the exception of that steel cable. I don't know how many times I fixed the old one before the post disintegrated and I installed the latest one. I'm sure I will replace that cable when it goes, but in the mean time, everything is just peachy!

dance1