will i go as fast as a 49cc scooter if i get a 66cc motor?

GoldenMotor.com

mikeread

May 29, 2010
kansas city, MO
I just fixed up a 49cc scooter for my roomate that doesn't have a car. After I fixed it up and started to ride it I thought about geting something like it. The scooter gets up to 35mph on flat ground. Do you guys think that if I buy a 66cc motor kit I would be going just about that fast?

Also I'm thinking of getting the kit at bikeburry.com is that a good place to buy it?

Thanks

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You may get up to 35 mph, but it's going to be flat out, and not a smooth flat out like the scooter (may) be doing.

Is this a famous made in china scooter with a horribly inaccurate speedo, or a quality scooter like a Honda or Yamaha?
I have a Yamaha Vino 50cc that will go 45 mph all day and I have 10,000 miles on it with no parts or maintenance issues....try that with a chinese scooter or bike motor, it ain't gonna happen.

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
My little grubee skyhawk 66cc can get up to around 35 but it feels like it's gonna come apart beneath me when I do it, so I don't go that fast for long (it's illegal to go that fast out here on a motorized bike anyway). She likes to putt along at 20mph all day long however. :D

I'm thinking about taking the scooter plunge myself. I need something that goes a little quicker than the MB and won't beat me up on my 35 mile commute. Right now I'm riding it to a secure (enough) location and hopping the bus, which doesn't solve the problem of infrequent, unreliable bus service here.

-AZ

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I have had a scooter and a motorized bike. Two completely different experiences! In my opinion the motorized bike is a very fun tinker toy. It is fun to work on and ride for sure. The scooter is way smoother and reliable. I would rely on a scooter to get to work and rely on a mb for fun.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I'm runnin a 41 tooth and a smoothed out, mildly modified, piped PK80 on a 26" MTB, I can lean on it hard, duck for wind resistance, put a dental support in so my fillings don't shake out, I can get 37mph on gps, My son has a 49cc Jawa moped that will do that (35 actually) all day long and I woun't be deaf or have loose fillings. As the folks above stated, it's oranges and apples.
MAC