New bike engine kit help!!

GoldenMotor.com

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
So I just recently received my engine kit and I've been out in my garage installing it to my bike for a couple hours now. I'm nearing completion and I'm excited to test it out, but i've ran into a problem... Right now I'm trying to install the throttle cable to the carburetor (You know, with the pin and spring and all that jazz) but I think my throttle cable is to short... In order for me to get the end of the cable locked into the pin hole thing, I have to really really squeeze the spring closed to let the cable through enough to lock in the other end. I don't believe i'm supposed to be squeezing this spring just to lock the cable into the hole. I took a picture here of what I'm talking about. You can see that the spring extends past the tip of the cable. I also included pictures of what my throttle looks like on the handle bars. Please someone help!!!

Ok nevermind with the pictures. I can't post them because i'm a noob here. :) Anyways, if you want a look at them send me a message and i'll send you the Flickr links!!
Thanks again

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
you have to have the slots lined up, turn ituntill it slides down easily. you should have plenty of cable, but you gotta have it just right, i think the slot is on the left side if i remember right

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
oh yea you have to squeeze the spring,
think of it this way if your not squeezing the spring how will the throttles slide return to closed?

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
What slots do I need lined up? I'm not sure I get what you are saying here...

I think if you saw my pictures you'd see how short this cable is... it's weird :/

Last edited:

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
To put the cable into the carb slide, you have to have the open end of the e-clip (attached to the needle) as well as the open end of the retaining c-clip (sits on top of the other clip) open to the slot in the slide. Make sense? Probably not. Here's a picture from Norm's section. http://motorbicycling.com/attachmen...le-carburetor-install-rebuild-carbpict004.jpg and the link to the thread if needed http://motorbicycling.com/f39/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-install-rebuild-302.html

On your original question. Yes you need to compress the spring to get it together. Once the slide is assembled, makes sure the slot on the slide is aligned with the pin in the carb. The slide will go together the wrong way but not work properly. Assemble with the carb off of the bike and then look through the intake or the air filter (filter off) to see the slide move and return when you work the throttle.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
I'm sorry guys, you are talking to a complete noob here :) I don't see any adjusters anywhere...
I'm just wondering if my cable is short or not because in the manual, the pictures show their cable poking out a bit and the spring barely compressed when all put together. I have to fully squish the spring to barely barely get the wire in...

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
no. It's just stuck... I can't even screw on the metal end to the carb. The spring just jams.
When I don't have anything on the end of the cable, (just the little nub) when i twist the throttle handle back (like i'm accelerating) the nub hits the end of the black tube. It reaches the tube when i twist it about 150 degrees if you think about it like a circle.

I swear the pictures could tell you guys if my cable is normal or not haha :)

By the way, the throttle moves freely with nothing on it.. It's just when i try and get everything hooked on to the end of it and I try and put it into the carb, it gets stuck...

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Okay, lets start over... make sure the twist grip turns freely! theres a little pin inside it where you need to drill a hole in the handle bars. did you do that?
If you dont drill a hole, the whole twist lever will warp & not turn.

Also, check what Jim just said! ;)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
no. It's just stuck... I can't even screw on the metal end to the carb. The spring just jams.
When I don't have anything on the end of the cable, (just the little nub) when i twist the throttle handle back (like i'm accelerating) the nub hits the end of the black tube. It reaches the tube when i twist it about 150 degrees if you think about it like a circle.

I swear the pictures could tell you guys if my cable is normal or not haha :)

By the way, the throttle moves freely with nothing on it.. It's just when i try and get everything hooked on to the end of it and I try and put it into the carb, it gets stuck...
Have you backed off of the threaded cable adjusters?

There is one at the throttle handle, and another at the carb.

EDIT: I should have said thread them all the way in...backed-off makes it sound like unthread...you want to thread them in.

Jim

Last edited:

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Alright lets see if these work!@!!

So as you can see, i have the thing set up correctly... I'm just not sure why the end of my cable is barely pokin' out of the tube...

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
Okay, lets start over... make sure the twist grip turns freely! theres a little pin inside it where you need to drill a hole in the handle bars. did you do that?
If you dont drill a hole, the whole twist lever will warp & not turn.

Also, check what Jim just said! ;)
so thats what that stupid pin is there for..... lol ive always broken them off!