'Rust' textured powder coat.

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have been looking over what my local powder coating place has available and couldn't believe the colors, 'glosses' and now texture choices!

Here is their available baked on powder pallets.
http://glendalepowdercoating.com/fig/colors/PowderBrochure (Large).jpg

I have a couple of new Grubee Skyhawk GT2A-150 frames coming, and as I looked through the choices I couldn't help but think of Rat Rods...

The very bottom right color choice, 'Rust Texture Semi-Gloss' hehe!

It reminds me of pre-washed jeans, get it new but looking old and used.

If you want to use new stuff but make it look like it's old (or not worth stealing) this might be just the thing for you Rat Rod guys.

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That would sure beat the bare steel/salt water treatment. Not only would it give the RR look but the metal would be protected.
Thanks for sharing, KC.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sure, had to share that, I'll know a little more about all these new coatings by next weekend as I have 2 new bare Aluminum GT2-150 frames to coat.

I don't know what the market for Rat Rods are here but it might be fun make a kick butt fat tire shifter ala Rat Fink style with gizmos, extra long suicide shifter, you know what I mean.

Another color/texture I noticed was rock textures like Granite, how about a Fred Flintstone MB?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
For me there is something very appealing about the Rat Rod look. There are a lot of guys in the street rod community who poo-poo on the 'rusted beater' look but if done right, by that I mean proper brakes, steering and attention to safety and reliability, the rat rods are more indicative of what real hot rods looked like back when they first appeared on the roads of America. Built by returning G.Is home from the war and without big bucks to spend, they constructed what they could afford. R-Rs certainly are more accurate than what you see at car shows and hot rod gatherings today.

It's the same for bikes. The Rat Rod forum is filled with awsome looking builds inspired by the traditional 'look' of early street machines.
Go for the fat tire R-R, KC, and show us what it comes out like.

Tom

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
I like rat rods. Real deal rat rods. To me, something that has had lots of money spent on making it look like a rat rod is a poser. A rat rod should actually be a junkyard refugee; not just be made to look like one. But that's just my opinion.

I'm actually not opposed to a powdercoat finish like this, as long as it is a practical finish and not too expensive. I would probably consider it for something like my '70s Westport (if I didn't already have more naturally "distressed" bikes) as long as it cost less than $100; but I would much rather spend the same money on a rusty prewar Elgin frame and hit it with some Rustoleum ruddy primer from a rattle can. Now that's rat!
drn2

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It's a look I try to avoid.
As do I, but it's more than that, if I'm going to build a bike I am not going to start with a bunch of used discarded ****.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that 'poser' powder coat rust color.
It was $150 to PC and seal the frame and few other parts and that stuff is double tough, like metal pool furniture, it will never be a real rat rod.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If you have surface rust, how do you tell if it is only on the surface? Hitting it lightly with a hammer?

My bike frame has been for extended period without paint as I am still wanting to weld modifications to it. I've never seen and pitting only patina color. If I sand the rust off, then I've seen metal shine always with very little effort.

I've seen engine crankcase bottom made of pot metal rust and take large areas of metal that looked as pitted. I have had no leaks and have for years left it also unpainted. When it pitted I think it was when it was sitting in wet mud for a long time.

It or the bike frame are seeming stable, so I may do clear coat on the frame and if there is something that can act like a clear anodyne for the engine. I know powder coat for aluminum works really great, but I don't if there would be adverse effect on engine with the oven I've used at a membership shop you have access to tools like that.

Does anyone know if powder coat clear or anodyne work on oxidized surfaces as I have remembered using an extensive cleaning process to prep? Rattle can clear coat I can test a small area and just see what happens.

MT

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I use rustoleum automotive clear coat in a spray can from home depot. Hands down, the best clear I've found. Gas resistant, and a hard surface that resists chipping, fading, whatever.

Surface rust means no pitting, no loss of base metal, no serious damage to the steel underneath.

If the rust is eating away at the integrity of the metal, that's bad. If it's just sitting on top discoloring it, it's got a long way to go before serious damage occurs.

Clear coating will preserve the patina, and keep it from getting worse.

I mean, eventually the rust underneath will do some damage, but you'll probably be dead, or the bike forgotten before that happens.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I like shiny and buttoned up tight.
The kind of machine you keep clean and shiny.
A machine that turns heads ;-}

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I love Powder coating it's tough as nails. Only my opinion but if you get a powder coat that looks rustic I think it would be too "uniform" for a true rat rod look, Things just don't rust in a uniform way. It would be interesting to get a sample piece to see if one could transform or change the look by using sand paper or steel wool.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Again, I only came in this forum area to share a new powder coat that looks 'rustic' for those looking for the 'look' on something brand new is all.
Jezz, I'm sorry I shared, I didn't know in advance this forum was devoted exclusively to building EXCLUSIVELY on old rusted out bikes!

Rust and Rig on guys, sorry I invaded your redneck space.
Jezzz...

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Was only food for thought on my part KC, never built a rat rod or attempted a rustic finish myself. So my 2 cents worth is probably only worth just that. Not meant to flame anyone.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Again, I only came in this forum area to share a new powder coat that looks 'rustic' for those looking for the 'look' on something brand new is all.
Jezz, I'm sorry I shared, I didn't know in advance this forum was devoted exclusively to building EXCLUSIVELY on old rusted out bikes!

Rust and Rig on guys, sorry I invaded your redneck space.
Jezzz...
Thanks for the heads-up. Like I said in an earlier post, it is an interesting finish if it's not too expensive.
Certainly no reason to get all huffy (laff) and start insulting us. We get it; you don't like rat rods. We do. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
:) You guys are killin' me. You're killin' me!

Wouldn't it be fun if we all could sit down, face to face, and have these same discussions? I'll bet there would be some good laughs.

Tom

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Yep, it would! But hey, I'm not mad or anything. The rofl thing is real. We all like what we like, and there's not accounting for taste; poor or otherwise!

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Wouldn't it be fun if we all could sit down, face to face, and have these same discussions? I'll bet there would be some good laughs.

Tom
Mmmmm ...... Maybe I will have to check out that Midwest Bike rally on June 11th after all...... I could buy a round of drinks that would give me a license to talk stupid. (^)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mmmmm ...... Maybe I will have to check out that Midwest Bike rally on June 11th after all...... I could buy a round of drinks that would give me a license to talk stupid. (^)
We'd like to have you, Langolier. Any fan of Steven King is a friend of mine.

The June cruise will be a good one. And it's centrally located so lots of guys can make it. I wish every member here could come. What a hoot that would be.

Tom