Morini Were to get one?

GoldenMotor.com

midwestmayhem

Dec 23, 2011
southeast S.D.
I've been looking around for a air cooled morini too, clone or not. My trouble is $500 is the cheapest I've found and that's a fair bit of $ for me to drop, especially on something that's a more or less a hobby to me.

Anyone know anywhere cheaper? Anyplace sell used ones? Thanks

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been looking around for a air cooled morini too, clone or not. My trouble is $500 is the cheapest I've found and that's a fair bit of $ for me to drop, especially on something that's a more or less a hobby to me.

Anyone know anywhere cheaper? Anyplace sell used ones? Thanks
Look for KTM 50cc bikes for used motors.
Lem, Cobra also used the same engines in a few models.
Be aware, $500 is about standard for these gems unless you take a chance buying used. I prefer to hear and see a bike before I buy it, but some have gotten decent deals fron fleabay on used engines and bikes.
Buyer beware!

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
ktm uses ktm, lem uses morini, and cobra uses cobra motors. early ktm's used morini s-5's anything 2001+ is what you want. morini's are masterpieces but parts are iffy, cobra's are rocket$$$$, and real ktm's are bulletproof. buy the whole bike running and you got everything you need down to the chain. china ktm's are chineese ktm's nothings written in stone but after a $370 tomar clutch, a stock 3hp morini s-6E aint so bad

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I just ordered one of these a few days ago... https://www.treatland.tv/franco-mor...start-eng-p/franco-morini-complete-engine.htm Anybody know anything about this one? Info online is very scarce at best and it was used in the 1980 - 1982 Motobecane EW50 dirtbikes. I got it because I like the CVT transmission as well as the 70cc upgrade kit... Still hadn't decided on what type bike to put it in but I'm leaning toward a cruiser frame or a large frame mountainbike.

Gp masta

Apr 17, 2014
Miami, Florida
I haven't purchased the dirt bike yet but the owner said its a 1997 franco morini with 2 bolt manifold on the cylinder no reeds? I am looking for some thing for all out speed ....

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I haven't purchased the dirt bike yet but the owner said its a 1997 franco morini with 2 bolt manifold on the cylinder no reeds? I am looking for some thing for all out speed ....
Some of the older Morinis had reed valves in the cylinder so they look like piston port engines from the outside... I know the one I just ordered I thought was a piston port but after finally finding a manual for it it shows a reed valve right at the inlet port on the cylinder. The newer ones are case inducted so it looks more "proper"

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
that 1997 2 bolt motor ain't no speedster. about 3 hp but a very nice motor, 32mph at grange track, parts are $$$ and hard to find. how do i know? i bought a few and had fun. clutches are the week spots and if you put a gs top end, pipe and a 19/21mm carb it will get with the program. i have boxes of parts so talk to me if you need anything. your better off with newer though. they are a big step forward from the older stuff. dennis