Stupid mistake with chain length

GoldenMotor.com

illbill713

Nov 30, 2010
Florida
So I bought 4 ft of 41 chain thinking it would be log enough and it wasn't. My old chain is short by only one link. I'm kinda dumbfounded, anyone know if I can fix this using both chains without having to buy another one. Thank -Bill

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If by "old chain" you mean the kit supplied #415, no you cannot connect the two. There are differences and the master links are not interchangable/compatible.
Go back to where you bought the #41 and either buy a six foot length (preferable) and make a new chain, or a couple of master links and two more feet of chain.
Personally I wouldn't run two master links but it can be done in a pinch if money is an issue.
Tom

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
If by "old chain" you mean the kit supplied #415, no you cannot connect the two. There are differences and the master links are not interchangable/compatible.
Go back to where you bought the #41 and either buy a six foot length (preferable) and make a new chain, or a couple of master links and two more feet of chain.
Personally I wouldn't run two master links but it can be done in a pinch if money is an issue.
Tom
i'm a motorcycle guy and have typically used heavier chains. way heavier. where does one procure this " #41" chain you speak of?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tractor supply sells #41 chain at $17 for 10 feet. Also at ace hardware or any other industrial supplier like northern tool.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
i'm a motorcycle guy and have typically used heavier chains. way heavier. where does one procure this " #41" chain you speak of?
Don't know about California but the Ace Hardware stores in Colorado also sell #41 chain, half and master links. Grainger is another option but they're a wholesale outfit and you'll need an account to buy from them.
Tom