The new guy

GoldenMotor.com

fr491355

Jun 19, 2008
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum as well as the concept of motorized bikes, so let me introduce myself. I'm 22 and live in Illinois, and i'm not quite that handy when it comes to motors and engines and stuff. I never really cared too much until just the other day when I got to ride my friend's moped. and OH MAN, it was a blast!

So since then i've been contemplating what the best route to take is, as far as motorized bikes go. I have an old bike I want to motorize. It's a female Coast King, Tour Classic. I've been searching around on sites like ebay looking at the selection of bike motor kits.

I'm basically stuck until I can get a few questions answered, so any help would be more than greatly appreciated. I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on gas vs electric. I'm looking to go around 25-30 mph. What kind of bike is suitable to modify? What engine kits anyone can suggest, and where to buy one. I'm kind of skeptic to get on off of ebay, even though I haven't had any problems thus far. Oh and last but not least, are these engines street legal? I won't get any kind of ticket will I?

Thanks and sorry for painfully long first post. :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Every answer you get is going to be different as most things are subjective. Almost any bike can be converted. I converted a 24 inch girls schwinn as my first bike build.

The only kits I am familiar with are the china kits that go inside the frame. I don't think there is a lot of difference in them frankly.

Ebay is where I bought mine and I would recommend it as most dealers who sell there also have website where they sell their kits for a high price.

Twenty five to thirty five is reasonable personally over twenty and I get nervous but I'm old and my balance is not all that good. Lots of guys zoom around. When you get your kit come here for instructions on how to install it properly lots of guys here are more than willing to help.

Welcome to motor biking.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us :D

I've never seen a woman's frame bike with a center mount motor, not saying it can't be done. Most who use a womans frame use a rack mount motor.

What kind of bike is suitable bike to modify? Any bike that will fit a motor, center mount need's the room to clear the motor, rack mount will work on almost any bike. I would ask yourself what bike do I like. Here is a link for more info

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-kind-bike-would-you-recommend-510.html

Street legal? I'm not from Illinois so I really dont know

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/illinois-1341.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/50-state-moped-laws-840.html

Illinois Rules of the Road (scroll down to moped's

Where to get a kit: I've gottne seven from KINGS MOTOR BIKES,MOTORIZED BICYCLE,MOTORIZED BIKES and have had no problems.

I've also had a few from Spooky Tooth Cycles - Motorized Bicycles: Gas Powered and Electric Bikes - Home and as far as I know they are still running great.

ThatsDax is a sponser of the site, I have not used him but I hear the service is awesome! bicycle engine kit, bike engine, bicycle engine, bicycle motor

Gas or electric
Electric cost more, they are havier, limited range, Don't know if it will reach the speed's you are looking for. Don't know to much about them

Gas bike's look cool, they are cheap, as long as you got fuel you can run as long as you like. Alot of maintanece.

I hope I was some help, other member's should give thier two cent's

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
I ordered mine from Kingsmotorbike.com
the service(phone) was awesome, but the turnaround time and shipping is slow. my plug cap broke in shipping and he sent one out free.

fr491355

Jun 19, 2008
Thanks for all of your tips. I've been thinking it over and come to the conclusion I should probably just scrap this old bike and look at getting a new one. I haven't yet looked over those sites that fairracing suggested, but i'll probably end up getting a 2-stroke motor of some sort from one of those sites.

I'm inbetween jobs at the moment, so it'll be a couple weeks before I pick out a bike and an engine kit to order. Thanks for all your help. This could become a new hobby for me : )

fr491355

Jun 19, 2008
That looks like alot more work, and dangerous. I bet that motor gets hot, hot enough to burn your, well lets just say I wouldn't be having any more kids if I fell...

Last edited: