Rear rack question!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
In search of the perfect rack.... For my bicycle!

I want something sturdy, but even on WalMart .com they only say they fit up to 28" bikes, Which makes me wonder if it wouldn't fit my 29 at all. ANyone run into this?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I use a rack that only attaches to the seat post. Works very well for what I need to carry. Also, there's no need to worry about structural issues from a frame mounted rack.

Best of luck with your build!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Never got around to doing it but I always look for woman's large western style handbags for saddle bags. Would have pockets. Then make a rack for the bike and bags.

Really like all the links.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I like the seat post mounted racks myself, but they can "swivel" around on you if a heavy enough load is placed on them. I had one on one of my MTB's back when I first started working at Boeing since I needed a way to get me and my tools from one side of the flightline to the other quickly. My tool bag and about 30lb worth of tools was enough to make the rack swing out but a few small steel rods going from the back of the rack to my seat mount bolt was enough to keep it straight.

If you can use a few 5/16" or 3/8" steel rods and bolt one side to the rack and the other either to the axle bolt or the seat mount bolt if you got rear suspension like I did, it will become strong and stable, but still easy to remove and install if you want to take it off when not needed.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Thanks, I had one on a Mongoose Y frame MTB so no way to mount the rack from the axle bolts, and by it's self with a heavy load I had to come up with something that wouldn't interfear with the suspension but make it strong enough to carry the type of loads I needed to carry.

You can get the steel rods at Home depot or similar places, then weld a thick washer to the ends to make it bolt on easily.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
So I'm guessing one of these would be out of the question. It's the rack I've got on my bike .it doubles as a second seat But you have to be able to put pegs on your bike. It's also a waterproof trunk that I intend to fill up with wiring and electrical components for my headlight taillight blinkers and ext.
I'll edit some pictures in later today and show you what this did for battery mounting on my bike
www.thebikeseat.com/

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
that would be a really good idea for storing or hiding electronics, and maybe even enough room to hide a fuel tank if the bike is a solid frame type, if the bike has rear suspension it could still be done by fabbing up some brackets and welding in some extra tubing so everything mounts to the seat post part of the frame and cantalevers over the rear wheel. Also if one was to add foot pegs to a rear suspension bike, mounting the pegs close to the front or even the middle of the swing arm would make the ride nice for the passenger. Rear pegs can even be made to hang down from the back seat frame to isolate them completely from the suspension as well.