Electra build gx100

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Picked this frame for 25$. I like the idea of being able to stop and have both feet on the ground. Seat is low, pedals forward, I like it. Just gonna transfer all runnin gear from the ole Del Rio bike. Because I'm running a igh I had to weld a horseshoe brake to the rear. Ole Del Rio will be put up for sale in the for sale space.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Motor mount in. Had a couple U brackets layin around, so, Js carrier mount.adjustable. Since I can't afford a 'in frame tank, this will work. Better than the 'ole rack mount tank. Pipe fits right in. Prolly paint it red, so I can call it DelRio and keep my registration plate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
VERY Cool! I have one o them motors. How hard was getting the governer out? any advice or tricks? Which IGH you gonna run?

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Greetings Velo, the governor I don't know if it was removed from inside or not. This engine was for sale at a swap meet, minus carb. FOR 10$... I tested for spark, Yes! Ouch. Got my 10$ out and hurriedly left with the engine. Once home I thought I it was OHV...No OHC.. This engine is mean. My igh's are a 3 and a 4 speed. With the 4 I end up skipping 2nd. I had a couple shifts where I didn't allow the revs to come down enough, jerked gears..so far so good. Waaay better than derailer types. The 3 is just right. And these to were swap meet finds.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...This engine is mean.
My igh's are a 3 and a 4 speed.
With the 4 I end up skipping 2nd. I had a couple shifts where I didn't allow the revs to come down enough, jerked gears..so far so good.
Waaay better than derailer types.
The 3 is just right.
I like internal shifters too, it makes things so much more pleasant to work with when the whole drive train is in alignment and I find 3 gears to be fine for most cases.

One thing is for sure, you have plenty of room in that Electra frame.

I don't care for the rear dropouts but other than that a nice frame.
You will need to make a custom slot or something to attach an axle pull to however, every IGH I have tried needs an axle tug om the right hand axle to to keep the wheel in place.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
KC read of your troubles. Really sorry to hear about it! Glad you are still with us!

Cool build Scratch!

I shoulda bought that DeRio but you wouldn't have shipped it. Right?

So fill us in. Hows the drive set up gonna work?

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Hey KC, nice Electra! I thought about filling the existing drops and cutting slide outs....but, they work. AND I learned the hard way on those axle keepers... Forgot it.. then wondered why myshifter kept coming loose( nex 3 speed). Almost ruined the threads. Chased em alls well.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
CB2..wassssssup..drive will be the 3speed nexus. My clutch is 11 back to 32 over to 11 down to a 60 final drive 24 to rear wheel 18. Take off is great, I could prolly hit 25 before shifting to 2nd...but Hondas are Expensive!! Shipping...no idea what that would've cost.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hey KC, nice Electra!
I learned the hard way on those axle keepers...
Forgot it.. then wondered why myshifter kept coming loose( nex 3 speed).
Almost ruined the threads.
Chased em alls well.
Thanks for the Electra Kudos, cool you remembered the axle tug before you stripped the Nex-3 Allen set screw.

I hate that screw.
I learned the hard way and it cost me, but I figured out what was needed and happy there was already 'just the thing' I needed to keep the axle in place, an axle tug.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's gonna be a great lookin ride!

IGH right? How have your Nexus been holding up? I have had any issues yet.
Thinking my B&S build will put it to the test--if I ever finish it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Painted and rollin..
Looking good, especially welding in an engine mount first.

Did you consider how you are going to route power to the right and how important the plate you weld in plays a part in that?

..wasnt gonna roll with saddle bags.
But after ridin with a back pack �� for the last month..saddle bag rack installed. I think this style frame will look good with em.
You might want to consider collapsible baskets...
What I have always hated about saddle bags is having to swing my leg around them to get on or off the bike.

When you can collapse them in when not needed they are friendlier to live with ;}

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Cb2, the nexus is holdin up. I've made a couple clunk shifts, so far so good. I like it, I like it alot'....I let the rev's come down, shift then apply throttle to slowly sync clutch and wheel speed. Yeah I've got a 3.5 now sitting under the bench. I striped down the 'rear suspension' to clean it up with fresh paint. Gonna see if I can swap my 3 hp crank with the 3.5. which has a short 3/4 out put. I know one thing, when you pull the cord, don't just yank it..it got compression. It'll snap the cord right out of your hand!

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC, got a link to those folding basket and rack from your last post? ragdolldude
I get mine from my local bike shop but this search will get you started.
https://www.google.com/search?q=col...=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=collapsible+bicycle+baskets

There are also removable 'shopping basket' front baskets that are pretty cool as well just being able to use a teardrop tank on a back rack.

Perfect for shopping for just a few things.
Heck, I'd ride up to the grocery store and park right inside by the carts, release the basket and shop, then snap the basket back on and ride home.