Do I get back in the game...?

GoldenMotor.com

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
So, if anyone remembers, I had my first motorized stolen last year. But this year, I'm going to be living in a safer place with an actual garage, and I am thinking of building another one. My previous build was a 66cc on a Schwinn Clairmont, but I'm curious about a few things before I even think about building again.

I'm looking for opinions on:
2 stroke vs 4 stroke
What's the most I can get away with here in CA Without breaking the bank of course. (I'm looking for just a bit more oomph, but I don't want to have to insure it (I will have an M1 though))
I prefer trackers, cafe racers, and bobbers. Any idea on frames/bikes I should be looking at?

My budget looks to be about 350-400 so far, but I may have a little wiggle room.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if these are all easily answered questions.

-Beard

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
4-stroke for dependability, 2-stroke for modibility. I keep my bike in my apartment, but I have a car otherwise so the bike is never out of my sight if it's outside.

As for your budget, if you were to get a 2-stroke and do some simple things to it you'd have an easy cruising 35mph machine and still have a hundred bucks left-over if you bought a bike as well. Lots can be done for free on these things to increase power output. As for 4-strokes I have never had one so I am pretty bias.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome back.

It's not all that easy to answer the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke question. I'm in favor of 2 strokes. But that's a completely non-objective preference. But even if your questions are easily answered, there's nothing wrong with asking them.

YesIMLDS; Do keep in mind that keeping a gasoline engine in a dwelling is illegal in most anyplace that has any zoning laws or municipal statutes at all.

I'm not telling you to stop it, of course. But please don't ever forget that that tank of gas can become a bomb under the wrong circumstances. And that's why it's illegal, of course.

Bearded War Machine

Apr 6, 2014
Santa Maria, California
Yeah I'll be living in a slightly more remote area, with a gated area of the house I can keep the bike in. Got really really lucky on a room in a house.

Definitely looking forward to having a safe place to keep this one.

Thanks guys!

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Welcome back.

It's not all that easy to answer the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke question. I'm in favor of 2 strokes. But that's a completely non-objective preference. But even if your questions are easily answered, there's nothing wrong with asking them.

YesIMLDS; Do keep in mind that keeping a gasoline engine in a dwelling is illegal in most anyplace that has any zoning laws or municipal statutes at all.

I'm not telling you to stop it, of course. But please don't ever forget that that tank of gas can become a bomb under the wrong circumstances. And that's why it's illegal, of course.
Of course. I have permission via the apartment complex. Everything is wrapped up as far as fumes go. Always try to take extra precautions.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've still got my two builds and another of spare bike and motor about ready and plan to sell it-

but if I were to start again from scratch- and not so much try to find the perfect combination for me- which I'm too old now for anyway-

I'd probably go with the aluminum motor bike frame with the built in mounts and built in tank- tho the tank is larger than I want- and I also like to have alloy cranks- so I'm irritated it has the old style large one piece Bottom Bracket- I'd have to convert-

and though I like larger 700 c wheels- I'm not sure they fit -

so I'd at least have an alloy 26 rim on the back with a 1.5 wide tire, and with a 34 or 32 sprocket

with a 66 China Girl- if I was young and wanted range- I don't mind riding a 50cc otherwise, and pedaling and coasting a lot

I'd probably have no other special mod than maybe a billet intake or a racing style carb- but I think the Speed carbs work well for the larger motor they were designed for

anywy- assuming I could get some wheels used, between the frame and the kit then- not a while lot of expense-

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
It all depends on how far you want to reliably ride before you have to dick with the machine, and for how many months or years you want it to last.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
bad computer pictures
The Red and Blue makes me think of a Super Hero theme.... Spiderman or Superman..

Judging from how high that seat is Id say you must be very tall, I run my seats low since all I use the pedals for are pegs once I have the engine fired up.

Nice looking frame, I have an American made Murray frame that looks basically just like it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I really like that red and blue color theme too... very nice looking build and the simplicity as well as the nice clean install really makes it look good.

And definitely... jump back in and build yourself another...

BobbyT

Mar 16, 2014
Santa Maria ca.
Hello welcome back.
Just saw your post. If you still live in Santa Maria. I have a few MB's that need to be riden and it may help you decide what you want to build. 1 is a 4 stroke.