Catalytic converter? Huh???

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I've read some references here about catalityc converters on these engines. Do these engines actually come with catalityc converters? Obviously I haven't cut my muffler apart but when I take the end cap off and peer inside my muffler (PK/Zoom 80) all I see is a long empty tube and a few baffles. I don't see any chambers that would have the honeycomb or any catalyst. Also since the typical catalyst is platinum-iridium and we all know the prices of these metals and prices auto cat converters if these buggers actually had a cat converter the muffler alone would cost more than the engine. Or am I wrong here? What's the real skinny?

BTW, the sticker on my engine says:
Pihzou Yongxing Gasoline Engine Factory
1. "meets U.S. 2009 EPA regulations"
2. "emissions compliance period: 50hrs" (or is that the engine life? LOL)
3. "EPA certificate #......"
etc.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Yes they do, here's the one out of mine and I only removed it because I located the muffler too far away from the engine for it to work correctly anymore.

Attachments

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
There's at least four different muffler styles commonly available, two different internally baffled & two different catalytic types... I'm sure there's others ....
Thanks for that info. The baffles on mine have pretty large holes in them so that I have a good view inside the whole muffler and I don't see anything that would hint at a honeycomb assembly like the one Kevlarr posted and the design is much different than the cat cutaway that Cabinfever1977 posted since Cabinfever's doesn't seem to be baffled. Mine then seems to be one of the internally baffled versions.

Obviously I'll know for sure when I cut my muffler apart after it ends its service life but this still begs the question: I know it's just the sticker on the side of my engine that claims this but how is mine 2009 EPA certified if it lacks a cat? Oh well.