I think I need a little help

GoldenMotor.com

Steve Crutchfield

Jun 15, 2008
Cullman Al
I have a little over 1000 miles on my bike ( 70 cc china motor ). I have had an abundance of trouble with the dependability of the bike. I have a 25 mile round trip commute. I am wondering if I should junk the whole thing & try a Golden eagle style engine or stick with the one I have & just work on it often. Any input or experiance would be helpfull & appreciated.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
If what you have isn't giving you too much trouble, I don't see a reason for a new bike for the commute. Just like a car, routine maintenance can make your vehicle last a long time. Also by not pushing the bike consistent to it's limits will give you more longevity.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you are doing twelve miles each way the bike shouldn't be giving you a lot of trouble. They are pretty miserable till you get them straight I think. So you have been riding it about 6 weeks, what kinds of problems are you having.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
yes, knowing what kind of problems you're having would be good.

On my bike, I have to fiddle with it just about every week, and I do at least 12mi per day.

There are just some things that need adjusting often...all nuts/bolts, chain tension, clutch, etc.

Steve Crutchfield

Jun 15, 2008
Cullman Al
Where to start?
At first the engine just wouldnt run well. I changed the plug wire, plug & cleaned the carb. It ran well for about three days. Then the gas tank started leaking more than usual. It leaked from the cap area from the start. Then my chain came off during a rainy commute home from work. The chain tensioner got moved into the spokes locking the wheel up on wet pavement. The guy behind me found it amusing. The broken spokes were not amusing to me. It has not idled well from the begining. I have woked on engines all my life & this thing has just about whiped me.

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Hi
From personal experience
Check for air leaks between the carb and intake tube
I just fixed it and idle is at lower revs and solid, and engine runs smoother in all the power band
And read all the great data about maintenance tips in this forum
Peace

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
The caps are not air tight. Making them would stop the fuel from going to the carb. You can take an inner tube and cut out the shape of the top and place it in the cap on top of the existing gasket. It's still not air tight but the splashing will be limited.

I used heavy duty washers on both sides of the chain tensioner. I also swithed out the standard wheel to a bearing wheel to make sure I don't melt the wheel at high speeds. I also changed out the rear sprocket assembly to an adaptor hub from LIVE FAST MOTORS. Their spring loaded chain tensioner also works well. Check the alignment between the drive sprocket and rear sprocket. Also check the tension on the chain, you may be able to shorten the chain. The amount of riding you have done may have seated the motor a little more and chain may have stretched.

Good Luck.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
or cut the chain down so that you could adjust the rear wheel for the drive chain and use the tensioner on the pedal chain. It is the only thing that worked for me.

My gas tank only leaks when I over fill the tank or tilt the bike to the side drastically... The air leak on the intake manifold is the number one problem with these engines I think. O rings and or sealant seems to help.

The bigger issue is these are the typical break in problems. Once they are fixed if you keep a check on them the bike should do well for you I think

Last edited:

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I've got over 900 miles on my engine so far and the only manufacturing defect I ran into is the muffler broke at the weld yesterday. It ran loud as **** and I was quite embarrassed however I immediately noticed about a 20% increase in torque power.

I'll be going to a muffler shop to see if they'll weld it back together in a day or so.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
when I first got my motor, also a 70cc chine girl, for the first month it was one thing after another gong wrong with it. I think if I had taken more time with the install, replaced studs and other things, there would have been less trouble.
I hope I'm not going to jinx myself by saying this but I think I may have ironed all the wrinkles out and my motor has been running very good for the last week or so, no problems at all and good performance.
Don't give up on it until it blows up on you, they are great fun once you get everything straightened out with them.