A little "side" project!

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Actually a big side project. Just been wanting to build a grocery getter/bike hauler/tractor puller/ swamp buggy racer. Gonna mount a 33cc Robin motor w/ an 8 speed low, low, low geared shifter outfit.

I stood on it and it didn't flex a bit; its made of 1"x1" square tube w 1/16" wall thickness and a little angle. I think it weighs maybe 60ish lbs w/o motor I suspect it'll haul 400+ lbs including rider!

Can't decide if I want a wood or metal deck. It will have a disc brake on the side in addition to the v's standard on the DB. HD wheels all around. Haven't decided on tires either. If anyone knows of good load handling tires.

Toying around w/ the idea of building a front spring suspension or possibly hydraulic springer.

Anyway many more ideas floatin' around but here it is so far.

.crt.

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Got the disc brake caliper mt welded on. Built a front wheel up w/ 11g spokes to match the rear. Painted everything up and mocked it up a bit for pics. Oh and I may try going w/ a 9 speed cassette instead of an 8.

So anyway, here're some updated photos..crt.

Attachments

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
Subaru Robin 35cc. Here're some pics as it stands today. I'm hoping to have it finished in a week or so, It could take longer though.
That looks like a very capable hauler. I have mounted sidecars on a couple of motorcycles. And put a few thousand miles on them. It looks like your sidecar has no lead on the third wheel. Be very careful making a right hand turn. Without any lead on the sidecar wheel, the rear bicycle wheel can lift fairly easily. That can sometimes cause the nose of the sidecar to dive into the ground. It may or may not be a problem on a bicycle rig. Just be cautious.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't sure about that but I know Urals have no lead cause they drive the car wheel w/ the shaft that drives the bike wheel. So I just went w/ that. I intend on taking all turns carefully for sure, also I'll have it pedalable shortly and can get a better idea of what it will do prior to mounting the motor.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Might Possibly add a safty wheel to the left corner close to the ground (maybe 4" above)too catch the side car in case of accidential tipping,,I would angle and tilt it as if in a slight turn when it touched ground so that there wouldn't be any gerat change in turn direction allowing you to recover the original balance

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yeah,

Sidecars are a failed design, and amazingly, still very much in use today. They are inherently dangerous in that corners must be taken w/ extreme caution (left or right). Turn left and the car wants to come up and turn right and the rear bike wheel wants to come up and either do all they can to tip you over.

Aren't they awesome!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
just an opinion,,,Your side car is way out front,I think a slightly banked and angled landing/wheel at the corner would make accidental tilt much more forgiving,and might keep it from digging in on irregular surfaces also

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
No Doubt BGJ!

Anyway, the sidecar has plenty of ground clearance (12.5"). And if it tips I'll be in trouble 'cause there isn't going to be any training wheels!

But seriously Corgi1, Thanks for looking out. But I have many mb's so it's not like this will ever be much more than a "novel" hauler and grocery getter (heavy stuff toward the rear) etc. Actually it was my very first welding project, maybe I should be more concerned w/ that. Thanks, Evan

Lay'emLow

Nov 4, 2009
Gainesville, Fl
do i spy a flux core job?

thats what ive been using too. im sure it got the job done on that thick steel square bar just fine. i recently borrowed an argon/co2 mix tank from welding shop to use solid wire, and man what a difference! it was the only way i was going to weld the thin steel for my gastank, and even still i had trouble with blowthru.

anyone know where to get an argon mix tank of my own for cheap???

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
do i spy a flux core job?

thats what ive been using too. im sure it got the job done on that thick steel square bar just fine. i recently borrowed an argon/co2 mix tank from welding shop to use solid wire, and man what a difference! it was the only way i was going to weld the thin steel for my gastank, and even still i had trouble with blowthru.

anyone know where to get an argon mix tank of my own for cheap???
I think I saw one in the HF store today by the welders, not really sure as I didn't examine it closely.
That sidecar really looks neat Tyr.