The 100 year old cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Hey. I have been building and selling these things for about 6 months now, but I have never actually owned my own bike, I just ride the ones im going to sell for a bit, then sell them. So now that I just sold my 8th bike. I decided its time to build my own. The pics arnt great, but ill get better pictures later. First off, yes, this is a crapbrook, I used the crapbrook because it is what I use on all my builds, and with the proper care, they hold up ok.
Its got the grubee gt5, triple tree fork ( not easy to fit to a cranbrook) a baffle-less expansion pipe from pirate, the billet CNS intake ( holey smokes what a differance that makes) 36 tooth sprocket and a 415 chain.I dont have a speedo on it yet, but it is by far, the fastest bike I have built so far. I had to cut the rear fender to clear the chain and then the fron fender rubbed the expansion chamber, so... I turned the front fender backwards and cut off a few inches. the seat is a very old brooks that came off an old raleigh I had rotting away, it was trashed, but I soaked it and wrapped it till it dried and now its almost good as new. The paint I did my self, just rattle caned with a clear coat, started with a brown primer and was going to paint it with an oil rubbed bronze paint but I liked how with the brown primer it looked rusted, so I went with that and tried to go for an old "barn find" look, there are 6 differant colors of paint I used to try to get the "aged" look, and trust me, it looks much better in person, anyway, let me know if you like her:)

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats a cool look! I build bobber motorcycles, and the old rusted look is one of the current themes. I have seen a brand new Harley that was acid washed and the paint antiqued. Its a real art form. Properly done it looks like the bike is an old original pulled from behind a barn some where and jut gotten running. Nice job on the Cranny!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's a real sweet looking bike. I thought it looked a bit strange at first, but I decided I like the aged look! Cool stuff!

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Awsome looking ride man!! Hey I have a similar set up and was wondering if your cranks miss the expantion chamber or did you put the wider cranks on?? Cheers

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
I like it. You can always sand down the paint in spots and hit it with some salt water for an enhanced patina, too. The chain works OK loose like that?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Nice work! I like the paint a lot! I also had to flip my front fender around due to hitting the expansion exhaust. I purchased a wald fender bracket and attached it to the back to make it look a little more like stock.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
thanks for the feedback guys,to answer a few questions, first, the triple tree fork is from bikebuyers.com, had to cut to length of course, I thought about threading the tube but instead I used a dremel to sand off the threads on the headtube races so that they would fit the threadless steerer, the only thing I did not keep was the locknut, instead I just use the top clamp of the triple tree to hold it all in place, seems to work good so far.
To answer ratrods question, no, those are stock cranks and they dont even come close to hitting the expansion chamber, they usualy hit the stock pipe when I do a cranny build, but believe it or not, the expansion pipe fits closer to the frame and gives no clearance issues at all.
Fishguts, the chain works ok loose like that, but im going to build a custom chain tensioner for it, but till then, ill either leave it loose ot use the stock pile-O-crap as a temp fix.
If the friggin weather permits, Im going to take her out for her first real ride today, try to get some better pics.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Just got back from my ride, man it was cold. Bit she runs great, fast as all get out. went about 12 miles, snapped a few better pics.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Walander,
I really like your build. You've certainly captured the look of an antique barn find. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing this unusual but nice looking bike.
Tom

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
Thanks for all the feedback guys, my day just got better, got home to a package on my door, my new helmet came today, this is just what I need to complete my vintage look, I love it so much, I just want to walk around the house in it, lol

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That is a super cool helmet. I agree with corgi, doesn't look at all safe, looks like it is for show, but it is perfect for that oldschool/steampunk racer look :D!

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
No, it is not DOT approved, however, I live in Idaho, and Idaho has no helmet law, so it doesnt matter. That being said, I got it to protect myself, and even though it does not have a DOT approved sticker, it is still made of steel and high impact plastic and then covered in leather, its way more heavy duty then a bicycle helmet, so I feel safe enough. I had it imported from korea. and it is approved by the korean motorcycle safety administration,so if thay say its safe, it must be safe :) and you cant beat the price, $19.99