GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This was the moment the gas bike men first realized their bikes were obsolete

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
LOL! I just rewatched this for the first time in like 25-years this weekend; it was part of a Stanley Kuberick block on TCM. The visuals were beautiful, but I didn't remember it being so ponderous, pretentious, and unnecessarily goofy at times back then. Maturity? Calcifying brain? I gave up during the long-winded radio-dish repair scene. And what was with all the "eating" going on? The ape-guys chowing on pigs, and the moon-men having lunch on at least 3 different occasions in the first hour (before I bailed!). Did I miss some sort of deep "food message"?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You know what's obsolete? Dead batteries after 20 minutes and I still have 3/4 left in my fuel tank. lol
My butt can't last long enough to run my battery dead. It takes all day, and by then you're more than happy to get off it for a while.

Radar00

Apr 28, 2016
PA
I'm sorry - ebikes just like the emotorcycles just dont do it for me. Same with hybrid cars. Half the fun is the hum of the motor. The sound of the revving and the obnoxiousness of a tuned exhaust. Internal combustion engines are just stupid fun

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
The only e-bikes I ever see are ones I whiz past on the road like they are standing still. I know there are some expensive e-bikes that can keep up with me but I never see any.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm sorry - ebikes just like the emotorcycles just dont do it for me. Same with hybrid cars. Half the fun is the hum of the motor. The sound of the revving and the obnoxiousness of a tuned exhaust. Internal combustion engines are just stupid fun
I thought the same thing for about the last 35 years. Then when I tried riding in silence, it took me about 2 minutes to forget all about it.

Riding a silent motorcycle seems like it would suck, but riding a silent motor bicycle has certain advantages that come in handy.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The only e-bikes I ever see are ones I whiz past on the road like they are standing still. I know there are some expensive e-bikes that can keep up with me but I never see any.
There's probably a lot of china girls that can't keep up with you too. There's also a lot of eBikes you don't want to race. Speed is only one measure of why a bike might be good.

vatoed

May 28, 2016
Chicago, IL USA
I'm in the hobby because I like mechanical stuff. The more mechanical the better. I just got done building a Specialized frame with shift kit. I started it this morning for the first time right before work and I was all smiles. Just badass, to me of course. Battery powered reminds me too much of when I was a kid and my dad would flip the heck out because I forgot to charge his cordless drill, the wait for the thing to charge was torture.
I have a small electric scooter (URB-E) but I just use it to putz around the neighborhood.
But to each their own. A lot of folks like a Prius because it's efficient and quite and I drive a Diesel quad cab because it's big and loud

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I took my first ride about 60 years ago on a homemade, Briggs washing machine motor powered friction drive. They used a old car generator with the side cut out as a drive roller. Couple years ago i found one and collecting parts to restore it. That hooked me good, and i bought a Factory Monark twin, road it everywhere for a couple years, then cars took over and bought a model A Ford. Then about 3 years ago i had a friction drive engine (got from my son) setting in the shed, thought put it on bike or sell it. That's all it took to get me back into motor bikes again. As far as electric i hate it when the batteries go dead, and have to wait for a charge, would only be out of necessity to have one...........Curt

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
I think the answer is a hybrid. Electric for quiet urban cruise and petrol for distance, recharging the small light battery needed for limited local silent cruise. I've got both gas and electric and am working on making a hybrid now. Each have their advantages.

Steve

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think the answer is a hybrid. Electric for quiet urban cruise and petrol for distance, recharging the small light battery needed for limited local silent cruise. I've got both gas and electric and am working on making a hybrid now. Each have their advantages.

Steve
I don't really feel range is much of an issue for eBikes anymore. How far do you really ride your motor bicycle anyway. More than 40 miles in a day? I would guess most people ride far less than that each day. At that point it would take 3 hours for my battery to charge, and my butt would take about 3 hours to charge too.

For motorcycles, and cars range is still an issue, but for motor bicycles the war is over.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
one of my neighbors has one of those walmart ebikes. his cost more and he likes my gas engines way better.

of course, his is off the shelf stuff... nothing like most here.

i obviously didn't say anything, but in all honesty, just between us... his bike isn't just under-powered, it's ugly too... lol

(don't tell him i said that) :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
one of my neighbors has one of those walmart ebikes. his cost more and he likes my gas engines way better.

of course, his is off the shelf stuff... nothing like most here.

i obviously didn't say anything, but in all honesty, just between us... his bike isn't just under-powered, it's ugly too... lol

(don't tell him i said that) :)
I have to agree with you there. Most of the production eBikes are pretty ugly.

That's one of the reasons Storm came along last year and turned the eBike world on it's ear. It's not ugly, and it's cheap.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'll admit it IS hard to imagine any kind of electric with the range and convenience of My Pig.
Power is NOT a problem for electrics....you can have BACKFLIP torque at your command, but not for long....