full suspension OCC chopper almost ready 4 paint

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
OK so I have lined it up, tested and I'm almost ready to strip it down to metal. I just need a few more hardware Items before I take the leap. But here are some sloppy pics of it all before I do the finish work.

Attachments

Bikedad1

May 12, 2009
East Wenatchee, Wa
Terron that is freaking awesome! Man make sure and keep us posted on your progress. I am tired of the bumpy ride my rigid frame has.............maybe some suspension will be in my future.

.sno.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I'm really surprised @ the lack of comments on this thread.....69 views and two people have had anything to say? Trust me once you sit on this puppy there is no denying what a great idea this was.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I will definitely update guys...I will also help anyone who wants to do something like this find the best way if they want. Another thing, I will not try to sell you my stuff! I just want people to start learning how to creat things themselves...Its time for America to stand back up and be counted. Time for the Craftsman to come back and say you "you think it can't be done? Well watch me do it!!!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think that most of the builders that are willing to deal with rear suspension are dirt bike guys. I commute on some roads that seem as rough as any trail I've mountain biked on. I agree that much of the "recovery" must start in our own private garages.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL my town just doesn't focus a lot of funds to roads so there are quite a few sneak up potholes. I don't know if you've ever hit a pothole doing forty on a rigid chopper but let me tell you it definitely doesn't feel good on the ol' bum or lower back! lol

Trae

Mar 21, 2009
Little Rock, AR
It looks like the rear shock isn't mounted in a way that will use it effectively. Like it would be flexing more than compressing. Let us know how it goes. Maybe some one with more experience on full susp can chime in.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Seat will not be in the stock position I'm working on that right now. As for Trae, I'm fully capable and have done all the math, it works exactly as it is supposed to. Look closer at how the pivot is set up and the shock angle. This same shock used to absorb all my weight jumping off of buildings, and it is tightened all the way down. Mind you I don't want it to move a lot, I'm not expecting the same type of action and range of movement as when it was on my mountain bike. This is only being ridden on roads, no need for the extra action. A few inches is all that are needed to give it a smooth ride.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Agreed the shock angle is acceptable, will provide a nice progressive spring rate. Wondering how you plan on tackling the chain tension issue cause by the rear axle movement.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I have a few Idea's in mind. #1 Buy brett's jackshaft setup #2 I had quite an epiphany on a transmission that will also get the power to the other side. I am not sure I'll have to throw around this transmission idea but if it works it's going to be amazing. I do have most of the seat figured out bill. This a crappy paint schematic but here is the original seat plate without the seat on it. It brings the seat about 4 inches back and finally this bike stretches me out!!!!

Attachments

The Newbie!

May 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
I dunno if it's gonna work dude? Only reason I say that is cuz I tried it that way! Now I dunno what the formula is or what the equasions consist of, I would appreciate it if ya let me know for my next 1, since ya did all the math n all! But I tried it like that, n I tried it the opposite way, can't remember which way had which result but 1 way it was as if it was still rigid, the other way it just bottomed out by sittin on it! I ended up using a more horizontal position! You'd hafta see it but my pictures are to big to put on here and I haven't figured out how to downsize em (tech challenged)! Hope it does work though!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL, It already works! I know this and knew this before any pics were posted. Newbie your problem with bottoming out is one of many things. First of all you can't tell in the pic but the way I set it up is like this. The original bottom bar design of the bike is totally straight all the way back to the tire. When no one is on this bike there is a slighty downward slope on the ass end now. Its not very much at all and makes no really visible line change when looking at the bike. Now when I sit on it, the line is back to normal, straight again. I have my shock tightened all the way down so it is very strong. Also take that picture download it on your comp and zoom in. Check out the actual design of the pivot point. I have already product tested this thing for many hours. I'm 175 lbs and I have jumped up and down standing on the seat for hours it works and it works well.

Last edited: