Tell me I'm not a GENIUS! Lol

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Ha Ha Ha, So my creativity strikes again! I had neons on my bike, as some of you remember, but they were the interior car ones, and weren't very bright. So I got the "Bright" idea to get something that will not need my lunky 12v battery, and will also light the pavement underneath me, defining a "my zone" on the road at night. This is a proven tactic, and the down low glo neon company defines this. I don't want to pay that much for neons however. Here's my idea. Ha ha.

Went to XS Cargo, a store selling cheap things that are discontinued or refurbished.

I bought solar powered lawn lights. The kind you line your garden with, they charge all day, then light your garden at night. (Like Moonrays)

I fiddled and fiddled with what I could do with either the solar panels... (Charge my 12v?)
I fiddled with the idea of a solar powered headlight.... (I don't have white, only red and green)
I fiddled with the "neon" possibilities, and put the positioned the light where I'd think it's best.
The ground lit up nicely!
I fiddled with a way to mount the light.
I fiddled with where to put a light.

As you might be able to tell, I fiddled a lot with this. Lol. I don't have many things to use, and I don't have many tools besides the basics. I don't have much hardware. (screws, nuts and bolts)

I finally found the light's home, and how to nest it there. Lol.

Are you curious yet? Would you like to know what I've done? Lol

Well, I'm gonna tell you. Ha ha.

I used a schwinn chopper mirror that I bought earlier for like 90 cents. The mirror fell out while I was riding, it couldn't take the vibrations of the motorbicycle. So, I literally pulled the old mirror out of the trash bin where I threw it yesterday, and sized it up. I figured out how to do it, I sure did. Lol, here are some pics of my creative, yet ghetto solar powered ground effects on my motorbicycle.

LMFARO!

Hope you guys like this one! Ha ha.

Attachments

Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
And here's a red installed. Neither one of these lights are charged right now. I'm getting little bursts of visible lights if I turn it off and on again. When the sun comes up, I'll set the bike outside and charge em up, I'll likely get better pics after that.

For those who are curious, It's pretty much just twine holding these puppies on there. Lol. I have found that it comes it handy when used properly. It looks ghetto, I know, but I was recently stopped by the cops, and they said I need to be way more visable. So, this is one of those ways I'll be visible. lol. I'm installing reflectors all around next. (I removed them all long before the engine was put on this bike.)

So, there ya have it folks. Lol. Another Addicted Creation. LMFAO. Hope you had fun! Lol.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool AMB! I had the same thought. I tried it as a head light. Made the bracket out of a piece of flat stock alum, a drill and 2 bolts. Not bright enough to see but let cars know I am there. That and my bracket vibed so much it looked like a strobe, lol.

Perfect for a tail light and "my zone" I still have some in the box and am going to try your idea. Mine are white so gonna find some red plastic or maybe sheet...

First post has pics; http://motorbicycling.com/f3/solar-head-light-1853.html

I bought a multi voltage solar charger at HF for 6 bucks and am going to try a 6V system using a wally world kids electric car batt. I want tunes, GPS and a cig lighter, snork

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Those are the exact lights!!! HA HA that's awesome Dan!!!! Thanks for posting that! I did consider the headlight, but like you experienced, the flabby mounting plastic is to flimsy for all of the vibration, that's what stopped me from mounting as a headlight. I'm not even sure these things will stay lit on the bike, haven't run a test run yet. Lol. I'll let you know how it works out though. :) Hopefully there will be a nice round green circle in the rear, and a nice red circle on the ground in the front! Awesome Dan, glad to see I'm not the first who have implemented solar lighting! God WE ARE A CREATIVE SPECIES, aren't we? Lol.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
They really do hold up to the vibes and stay lit for hrs! (My poor attempt at the bracket was the culprit) Really is cool. Job lots and other stores have security spot lights been eying them for a head light. Yard sales!

I really think solar is the way to go. No engine energy lost and gives your MB the funky steam-punk look. Folks freak out when ya tell them it is a solar powered light. I really do want tunes, cig lighter and GPS

The creative part of this, man, I love that. Never looked at a dumpster or yard sale the same way again, snork.

Red found this batt. Has a home charger too. With a HF solar collector, wohoo.

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/rechargeable-12v-power-supply-15870.html#post158718

dakota47l1

Oct 2, 2011
st louis mo.
They really do hold up to the vibes and stay lit for hrs! (My poor attempt at the bracket was the culprit) Really is cool. Job lots and other stores have security spot lights been eying them for a head light. Yard sales!

I really think solar is the way to go. No engine energy lost and gives your MB the funky steam-punk look. Folks freak out when ya tell them it is a solar powered light. I really do want tunes, cig lighter and GPS

The creative part of this, man, I love that. Never looked at a dumpster or yard sale the same way again, snork.

Red found this batt. Has a home charger too. With a HF solar collector, wohoo.

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/rechargeable-12v-power-supply-15870.html#post158718
that is too cool i love this it gives me a way to unleash the creative side in me other that playing guitar.

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
yea those solar garden lights are a neet thing to tinker with and so are solar christmas led lights. but i have to say that all that extra crap tied to the bike looks kinda junky and needs to be cleaned up to get a cool factor out of me... just saying!