lack of speed with Chicken Motor

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
I've got a vintage 60's Chicken Motor (front wheel friction drive). I've adjusted it to manual directions and it starts good and runs like a sewing machine. However, with a 140 lb. person on the bike, it might go 5mph. Also, the next day there is a fuel stain on the floor where fuel has dripped from the exhaust. A friend suggested I change the gas/oil ratio and oil type. Specs call for 24:1 with 30W oil and nothing else. Any suggestions appreciated.

Rick in Indiana

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had one of those Chicken Power motors and could never get it to run. I did have a manual for it at one time and as I recall it was even less powerful than the Bikebug friction motor. It is also the only engine I've ever seen that came with a gas tank made at the factory from a tin can. That's what mine had and it had the Chicken Power decal on the tank. Seems to me it was made in Indiana onceupona. Yes, change the oil to 2 cycle. I bet opti 2 would give you some more oomph, but don't expect a lot from it. You have a cool antique there and on a 60's three speed it is just right! Post a pix if you can.
SB

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
Thanks for the input.

Yes, it is used.
What would be the ratio for the 2 cycle oil mix?
I've considered a Bike Bug as a replacement, but sounds like the performance on them is not so good either?
Alternative friction drive recommendations?
I like the Chicken retro look, but.....
I've tried attaching a photo unsuccessfully several times. I've never had any luck on this web site doing it. Sorry.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The ratio of oil depends on the manufacturer. I would follow their recommendations. I used to run bikebug motors with Amsoil Sabre professional at around 75-1. I now use Opti- 2 at 100-1 on my HT motors. Some 2 cycle oils use a much richer mix, so it depends on the manufacturer. Not all oils are the same. I don't remember how many CCs the chicken power motor is. The bikebug was around 26 cc's if I remember right. It just depends on what you want the motor for. If you like to pedal, but just want some help on hills or want to cruise along on flats in the mid teens then it is great and I would think the Chicken power motor would be fine. If you're into some speed, greater weight of bicycle and rider or have a trailer, then it might not be adequate. But a running Chicken power motor on a period bike is very cool. I've posted a photo I lifted from the Moped Army website and now recall that the little gas tank was not a food can, but something like a contact cement can with a fitting soldered into the bottom. Very low tech, but the motor seemed well made to me...
SB

Attachments

mysticalmancan

Feb 15, 2016
San Diego
I've got a vintage 60's Chicken Motor (front wheel friction drive). I've adjusted it to manual directions and it starts good and runs like a sewing machine. However, with a 140 lb. person on the bike, it might go 5mph. Also, the next day there is a fuel stain on the floor where fuel has dripped from the exhaust. A friend suggested I change the gas/oil ratio and oil type. Specs call for 24:1 with 30W oil and nothing else. Any suggestions appreciated.

Rick in Indiana
Rick, your fuel mixture is way too rich and as far as speed..the engine should take you at least up to 18mph!?
Since I was the service expert in San Diego and I worked on and sold hundreds of these..on issue that I came up with to reduce the power and speed was sometimes the metal spinning clutch inside the gear housing got or gets too much grease inside the housing and it won't engage and stay solidly connected to be able to get a firm grip on the top of your tire to allow it to move faster and engage with the friction. So, try opening up the case housing and you'll see the small centrifugal clutch and housing that connects to the gears inside. Take it off and clean the inside and the clutch and re-assemble, that should solve the problem! Either that or you bracket adjustment might be off a bit? You can take the governor vain off to get more rpm's and speed by having the engine rev higher, but be careful to not get it too hot! These engines were designed to rev very high by their nature..actually I think they can rev as high as 13,000 rpm's!! ungoverned..if memory serves me? I guess this message is pretty much mute if you've already moved on, sold or thru this engine away!! lol!

mysticalmancan

Feb 15, 2016
San Diego

Rick in Indiana
Rick, yes, DON'T use anything else..just the mixer you mentioned here!! It will and may RUIN your carbs diaphragm, which is sensitive enough being made out of basically rubber! Also, since this is a two cycle engine..any old gas oil mixture needs to be thrown away after more than 90 days of sitting in the system or gas tank and a new fresh gas/oil mixture replaced!

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
How reliable were those engines? Is there still a source for old parts? Wish I still had the one I tried to get going without success. With your guidance it would probably have run again...
SB