The Name is "Nunya" (please don't call me "Nuny")

GoldenMotor.com

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
Nunyadam one of the "Boys from Illinois"

Soon to be a first time Builder. Doing my research first, making (hopefully)less mistakes later.

I know people with motorized bikes, and helped out a bit with a neighbors, also mechanically inclined.
My mentors?
The Professor from Gilligan's Island (he could build anything out of nothing.)
and MacGyver. (do you see a common thread here?)

What have I learned so far?

They are all cheap Chinese kits. (for the most part.)

Parts will need to be adjusted.

A good condom will last longer than the chrome on the grips. (plasti-chrome was wearing off on day one of the neighbors build.)

Buy better replacement parts WHEN (not if) things break.

throw the bolts that come with the kit away and buy grade 8.

use locktite.

NOT DOING THIS! rubber bushings under the motor mounts.

Get the stock bike running first before you make upgrades, after that make one at a time.

There is more, but I just wanted to say Hello!, and let You know I'm not just jumping into this blind. Lots more to learn. (how do you tune an Expansion tube for everyday riding?)

I'll end here with a Picture of my Victim.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to he forum. It sounds like you have things well in hand except for the rubber in the engine mounts. Don't do that!

Also do some reading here about fenders and how to make them safer but seriously consider removing them completely.

Keep us informed of your progress and have fun but ride safe.

tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You got a great start at having a good motorbiking experience.
But......NO RUBBER IN THE ENGINE MOUNTS!!! And remove or reinforce the fenders.
Search the horror stories here about fender failures for the reason why.
Above all, have fun!

Oh yeah, one more thing. Buy a patch kit and portable pump to help prevent pushing...and carry it on every ride.
Even with extra thick tubes and a tire liner, I still get flats.
(It's a jungle on the streets!)

Last edited:

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
Still debating the fenders, but no rubber will be used on the engine mounts. if the mounts don't fit right my Dremel will get a bit of work to make them fit.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You might be interested to know the suspension forks from most cheap roadmasters will bolt right on this frame.
Instant V-brake front! (Plus it looks cool.)
This is a Cranbrook, but the frames are the same...

Last edited:

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
Good to know, and Nice looking bike.
Now i have to measure my old mountain bike, eyeball glance says it will fit, ugly rusty chrome, but it might fit. Turning it into a junk yard dog is just my style. might even go rat rod.

My mind is made up on the fenders though. bye, Bye Fenders.

So many decisions/ways to go.

Step one is to get it running and dependable. (dependable as you can get a China Girl that is.)

I'm learning a lot just reading through the threads here. (all 80 pages of the take a hint leave a hint for one, and a lot of other threads as well.)
There are at least 5 bikes running around the neighborhood, and i have already diagnosed and fixed problems on two of them.

I'm also thinking hard about pulling the head and jug to do a bit of Dremel work to clean thing up a bit. No hogging out ports, just smooth out the flow. (this would not be my first polish job, working on a set for a 70 Cutlass 350, and did a set for another 70's Olds years ago. )
Just debating the cost/time/benefit.

Suggestions are always welcome.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's not about the power...it's all about enjoying yourself.
In my opinion, these motors are one of the few remaining ways to learn old-school two-stroke tuning without going back in time or growing up in a racing family.
Simple engines like these will teach you all the basics you can use everywhere.
Just remember not to change the port OPENING size unless you know what you are doing fairly well.
And be sure to chamfer the ports when done EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T grind them bigger. Even the tiniest touch by mistake can spell doom to a piston ring if it catches...

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Accept it for what it is and there is nothing to stop you from getting 10k miles on a single engine.
Like I said, I lost track long ago but I'm somewhere over 12-13k...never had any problem with breakage or durability.
The only reason I've had the head off was curiosity and cleaning. Had the carb off two or three times for needle adjustments and I grease and inspect the innards every two weeks. Other than that, it just gets ridden.
Other people think these engines are poor quality. I disagree.
The MATERIALS are poor quality, the engine itself is perfect for it's INTENDED USE.
It is not a fire-breathing race motor. It's a putt around all day on a few bucks motor.
Get a Morini if you want to run with traffic.
I'll wave as I putt past you while you're stopped at the next gas station! (or traffic stop :))

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
"IF" I get lucky i will get my Kit tomorrow. I highly doubt i will get lucky as were talking FedEx. I can pretty much say from past experience with FedEx that i will receive my kit 7/9/2013 @ 8 P.M. CST. (last possible minute for it to be "on Time")

Looked through some more threads and I'm brainstorming some ideas for the chain tensioner. I like some of the simple fixes, but I also like some of the spring tensioners. I already have a couple ideas rolling around in my head for simple mods to existing ideas.
(some people here are very creative. )
But in the end I will follow the K.I.S.S rule (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
saw that and if i had any skill at welding i would possibly do something like that. I'll figure it out when i get the kit and mount it.

FYI I Graduated from Wyoming Tech Automotive program way back in 1981. i have worked on bikes, and mowers since i was a kid. Mom wouldn't let me have a minibike then so I'm building a Maxi/Mini-Bike now. she is still not happy about this build, but she can go suck an Egg, I'm going to be 50 the 27th.(no I do not still live at home lol) (Just wanted to throw that out there to give an idea of skill level.)

Triple threat anniversaries happen at almost the same time this year. (15 years at my job, 25th anniversary with the Wife, and 50 years old.)( Bday the 27th, anni the 30th, job 8/8. )

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just be sure however you mount the tensioner, it cannot move AT ALL!
I much prefer not using one, but sometimes you have chain rub and have no choice.
Lots of good info here on the various pro's and con's of tensioner styles and mounting.. Look it over before you ride and you will be much better off.
(I still think a spring tensioner is a bad idea on any hardtail frame build.)

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
for simplicities sake the first tensioner will probably use the stock piece with an additional angled bar to keep it from ever moving towards the spokes. a more permanent solution will be made later. it really all depends on what i dig up over the weekend. I have to dig through my piles of Treasures (junk) to see what i can figure out.

The bike is only as strong as the weakest link.

thanks for the advice.

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
now why on earth would you think that. laff

The Kit is on the truck, and out for delivery.
Tomorrow I ride.
Maybe today, but not until I'm sure its safe.
I also have to finish up the head to thermostat housing seal on the wife's car before i can get started. (easy peasy, Lemon squeezy. "if we can get the seal without ordering it.)

Last edited: