What Have You Done To Me?

GoldenMotor.com

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
It was about a year ago that I mentioned the concept of a motorized bicycle to my girlfriend, getting a look of "you've GOT to be kidding me".

Two and a half months ago I started to give it some serious thought.

Two weeks ago I had my first mostly successful ride on my Specialized Expedition and Titan friction drive.

Since then, it's scaring me how much I want to ride. My schedule is a busy one, so I don't get a whole lot of opportunity to ride and both break the engine in and work out the bugs with buying a Craigslist bike. Thirty miles down another seventy to go before I consider taking the bike on my 15 mile one way trip to work. Rainy weather hasn't stopped me, both before and after getting rain gear.

When I'm not riding, I think about it a LOT. Probably too much, and if my girlfriend found out how much she'd be jealous. I talk about the thing far too much, too. I even blog about it. When I'm riding, I want to ride more and don't want to stop. I've even considered calling off of work to ride, and I just don't do that. At least, not before my motored bicycle.

I keep telling myself that it's just a new toy, that it'll eventually get old. Then I realize that there's always that opportunity to do ANOTHER build. Can you say Morini? I knew you could!

What have I gotten myself into?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Oyster! Happily sad to report, it only gets more enthralling. When talking to folks I tell them the only thing wrong with em is I have trouble turning in my own or my work driveway. NonMBers always ask why. Mbers grin and nod. For the last couple of months I have been testing a prototype and was literally my third job to go ridding! OH man oh man what a joy. My friends, (both of them. Hi Mom) laugh at me when I say gotta go do some product testing. snork, snork.

My rule of thumb on how many MBs one should have; The one your ridding. The one your building and the one your planning.

I very often wake up thinking; "if I reduce this more" or "I could do this or that" Like SB said, far worse things. My favorite concept about these is they really are functional art that as members of this community, we can share in our own and our friends evolution. The lessons I have learned from em is phenomenal. Math, physics, engineering and wrenching.

I really think every at risk kid should be given a kit, a bike and a wrench or 3. All disassembled.

LOL, if your wife ever calls you obsessed, show her this.

Post lots of pics.

Post script, great blogg

dnut

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
And here I sit, high clouds but still quite nice, and I'm about 35 miles from my bike. :( Some guys is outside beating on the seat of his non-motored and therefore fully-perspirated bicycle, and I keep thinking that he'd be much happier with it if he'd just throw a friction-mount kit on it. It's like I want to run out there, give him a big ol' hug, and say "Friend! There is another way!"

He'd probably look at me as if I was from some sort of religious cult, and given how I feel about my bike he might not be too far off.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Obviously you didn't read the government warning label on this forum. Now its too late.
Tom
LOL Tom! I am gonna start putting that on my kits.

Found a thing for ya. Will mail it Tuesday. It's been in an envelope for 2 weeks an' the reason I mention it, is so I remember to mail it, snork.

I'm not getting old. I was always dim

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Friend! There is another way!"
That's great Oyster! Been thinking about doing a script for a movie about MBs since I got into em. (Revenge of the nerds against the spandex elitists or the outfit that keeps taking my stuff, copying it then calling me a thief sort of thing) But if I ever get around to it gonna have an obsessed monk like guy, robe and all, preaching an' spreading the "word" of the glory of MBs. "Friend! There is another way!" LOL!!! Love it.
Most of the characters are based on friends from here. Some are a mix of folks here. No one sue me! lol

I write a lot and never even try to get published. But might try to get some local collage kids to do it as a school project. Might be fun.

Last edited:

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
That is something I would wanna see. My thing is when I see someone on a bike peddling like no tomorrow and going like 20mph I yell "I can make you go faster"! Funny thing is they usually laugh at me until they see me later cruising past 'em on my MB laughing as I do so.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
All of this is so dang funny to me, I've got the most wonderful wife in the world now that she understands my motrobiking better, It's funny now how we will be driving through town in the truck and she will see some poor ole soul pumping those pedals like crazy and she will say as if she were talikng to that person hey my husband can put a motor on that bike for ya and make it lots more fun and much easier to ride, it really cracks me up when she does this, and she has never even rode a motorbike, but she will have her own in the future, I've already got two 24" bikes that I will make her one nice bike out of, she only 5' 2" so the 26" is a little much for her.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
mapbike I know where you are coming from about the wife. My wife was laughing at me when I ordered my first kit over two years ago, It took a week to get to me and the whole week all I heard was "it ain't gonna work". When I got it all put together and running (all of which I did at a buddies house, just in case it didn't work.) I rode home peddling the last leg on purpose. She was of course outside waiting for me; as soon as she went to say "told ya so" I let out the clutch and she fired right up! I looked right at her with a s**t eating grin and said "Ain't Gonna Work!!!!" Even my 11yr. old son was laughing. She was so shocked it was at how well it worked she couldn't help but laugh. I'm just happy she has a sense of humor. Now understand my wife is only 4' tall but she wants one now! So I am working on putting a motor on a 20". I told her I would but only if I can put "Ain't gonna work" on the gas tank. I'll keep ya posted.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dunno why MapBike but ya made me think of last summer. My Carol is truly the finest person I have ever met. She really is. I found MBs cause some one in broad daylight walked into our garage and stole her bike. Wondering around the internet bicycle shopping, I found Dax's web page and was hooked b4 page 2. Any way, we go some where in the car with my first MB on a carrier. As we pull in the drive she remarks, "We left the garage door open" I reply, "is OK. the bike is on the back of the car" snork, snork. In 21 yrs, I have never seen her look at me like that. b4 or after. It was a mix of complete disbelief, shock and "wutz rong wit you" all in one

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
mapbike I know where you are coming from about the wife. My wife was laughing at me when I ordered my first kit over two years ago, It took a week to get to me and the whole week all I heard was "it ain't gonna work". When I got it all put together and running (all of which I did at a buddies house, just in case it didn't work.) I rode home peddling the last leg on purpose. She was of course outside waiting for me; as soon as she went to say "told ya so" I let out the clutch and she fired right up! I looked right at her with a s**t eating grin and said "Ain't Gonna Work!!!!" Even my 11yr. old son was laughing. She was so shocked it was at how well it worked she couldn't help but laugh. I'm just happy she has a sense of humor. Now understand my wife is only 4' tall but she wants one now! So I am working on putting a motor on a 20". I told her I would but only if I can put "Ain't gonna work" on the gas tank. I'll keep ya posted.
Thats the second time you cracked me today Dag. Ya gotta post pics of that tank.