2.5 inch tire reference

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Today I got some 26x2.5 inch tires in the mail, went to install them and started with the front and realized that my motorbike isn't able to fit a 2.5 inch wide tire in the rear because of the direct drive chain. I went ahead and put one of my 2.1 inch tires on the rear that seems to have plenty of room and handles well on the muddy trails.

Here's some pictures to give a visual explanation, I went ahead and added a pic of the new aluminum hand grips as well. They seem like better quality for when the bike is sliding in the dirt from a crash and what not, the plastic grips got wreaked from hitting the ground so much. Also cant wait to test out that new seat you see, VERY springy, doesn't seem like it will jolt my back as bad on the railroad beds.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
2.20 seems to be my tire of choice now-days. Plenty wide but the chain always seems to clear by a fraction of an inch. I would love to get the link on that awesome seat.
Thanks
Zip

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
2.20 seems to be my tire of choice now-days. Plenty wide but the chain always seems to clear by a fraction of an inch. I would love to get the link on that awesome seat.
Thanks
Zip
+1 i like the wider tires, especially in creme.
my chains like to touch the tires once and a while, with white walls or creme tires it sucks. i found the 41 chains are wide and sloppy on my sprockets so that does not help. don't know when it happens, on starting the mtr, coasting, take off ?? i'm in the process of changing over to 410h chains. narrow yet strong. i have only heard praise about them here.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Cylon, you take any video of you going on trails or helmet cam?

Like to see what the bike does.

I have something 1.75 to 2.25 somewhere forgot what to be exact for tires.

Just at some trails no bike tire can handle so it is limited.

I have Kenda tires with large knobby that about 3 years ago maybe, the cost were only 15 dollars each at REI. These seem not to be found at that price any more.

They have tires I see costing 75 dollars at top tier, but nothing probably at even 25 dollars. I have never had a flat with these.

Only just recently I have had a blow out on the tube in the rear tire, but I know what happened. I accidentally created a fold in the tube probably and inflated it not knowing. 20 minute later boom.

The fold was created which I think is why, was because of my being hasty in reinstalling tire in the drop outs. I have to take the rear wheel off to access working on the jackshaft pulleys occasionally.

Really I need to have a quick release on the rear brakes, since I don't it takes loosening the cable which is a little extra time.

Also emptying the tire of most the air. I emptied maybe too much air and did not release the brake cable. Knobby stick out and catch on the brake shoes (these are V-brakes on the rim).

Well I bought another tube to replace the one I always keep on hand for such occasions.

Oh forgot to mention, I modified the left side rear stay for extra room so belt and tire rub does not happen. My bike lacks pedals, but I use it only on trails legally with OHV Registration from DMV.

https://vimeo.com/130158715 Trail

https://vimeo.com/205179129 Dirt Road

Attachments

Last edited:

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I only have old videos nothing with the new wheels and tires but its the same engine setup. Also I only paid like 20 dollars a tire total not to bad. I have a go pro so I will try to use that this year. I got it last year but broke the helmet mount, I have a handlebar mount Ill try but I'm not sure how bad the vibration will affect it.

Here's a link to last years videos I will make more when it warms up. They are mostly street videos. I do ride trails but I never tape it myself will do if the go pro works better this time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Ja7p7Qx1kL7vhZx7mB2Ow/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=652127#post652127

At post number 3 in the thread I made, there are a few pictures where the double stick glue for my Go Pro Clone (Original SJ Cam) helmet mount wore out. I drilled through the top of the visor after removing it from the helmet and bolted it on. Then put it all back together, an no double stick tape. I retain using the wire to zip tie as a back up if bolt comes loose, but it is nylon locking nut so should never come off.