Got my Cranbrook about half done.

GoldenMotor.com

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
Here is a webpage to display the progress.
Motorbike

I displayed someone else's completed bike to show what a completed one looks like.

Can't remember where I found the picture but if the owner wants me to take the picture off I will be glad to.

A question.

Did you guys shorten up the gas and clutch cables. Lots of extra length here.

I have to go work on a Mini-Sprint race car tomorrow. If I can still bend over when I get home, I will start working on the chain tomorrow night..!!!

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
Started it today and did a very short test.

I need to move the rear sprocket out about 1/8th inch.

My first install I only put the rubber isolator on the inside of the spokes and did not put one between the spokes and the sprocket because that made it too far out.

But now I think I need to make a spacer to go between the sprocket and the spokes.

The one that came with it is just too thick..

Did any of you guys have to deal with that.

Short quicktime video of the test ride.

http://home.fuse.net/pvee/mbike1.MOV

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Started it today and did a very short test.

I need to move the rear sprocket out about 1/8th inch.

My first install I only put the rubber isolator on the inside of the spokes and did not put one between the spokes and the sprocket because that made it too far out.

But now I think I need to make a spacer to go between the sprocket and the spokes.

The one that came with it is just too thick..

Did any of you guys have to deal with that.

Short quicktime video of the test ride.

http://home.fuse.net/pvee/mbike1.MOV[/QUOT
In regard to your sprocket issues....Jim at Creative Engineering manufactures the absolute best sprockets and adapters for our bikes....his link is to the left of the pages here on the forum....I know this firsthand as I'm using one....simply amazing....go to his site and you will see......so far your build is looking sweet !!...keep it up !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
Thanks for the info.

After supper I made a thinner isolator to go between the sprocket and the spokes and that seemed to do it.

After a couple easy test, I sped it up and went farther up the road and back and it seems to be ok now.

Thanks again....... Pete

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Thanks for the info.

After supper I made a thinner isolator to go between the sprocket and the spokes and that seemed to do it.

After a couple easy test, I sped it up and went farther up the road and back and it seems to be ok now.

Thanks again....... Pete
Pete,
The difference between the rag joints and what Jim offers is night and day....there's simply no comparison....the kit joints are dangerous,unreliable and a plain out pain in the butt...plus Jim offers a choice of sprockets....I'm using his 38er....climbs hills no problem and flat out hauls a$$....I whole heartedly believe in being safe....and productive....with no issues down the road ( no pun intended)...just get in touch with Jim......he'll walk you through it.....I've enclosed a snap of said sprocket and adapter so you can infer....

Luck,
Salty.shft.

Attachments

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
Well, it's working very well now. I made several laps around the big block here and all is well so far.

I have a question about the magneto.

I just grounded the black wire and hooked the kill switch across the black and blue.

Not using the white wire.

Somewhere I read that you can power a headlight of some kind off the magneto.

Is that really possible without reducing the spark strength??

Pete

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Well, it's working very well now. I made several laps around the big block here and all is well so far.

I have a question about the magneto.

I just grounded the black wire and hooked the kill switch across the black and blue.

Not using the white wire.

Somewhere I read that you can power a headlight of some kind off the magneto.

Is that really possible without reducing the spark strength??

Pete
From what I understand yes you can power a light with the white wire but it doesn't give hardly and juice at all so it's probably not even worth it to do that.....I'm not sure about reducing the spark but I'm sure someone here will know....keep us posted !

Laters,
Salty.shft.

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
Another question about the clutch hardware.

The clutch handle adjuster is too soft and the cable end digs into it and then you can't adjust it.

On the motor end the cam housing that has the cam in it that operates the clutch is pretty bad also.

At least on mine the cam flops around in there. Like that when new..

The hole that the cam goes into is about 1/16th of an inch too big. I have plenty of grease on it but If I make some bushings for it I feel it will operate a lot better.

Are they all like that or is this just a bad one??

On the clutch handle end, I can replace that with the Motorcycle piece that has a harder adjuster mechanism in it but it won't have the stop to hold it open.

Speed Partz, Clutch Lever for mini-sprints, modified midgets, micro midgets, mini sprints, side winder

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
I have used a pop can for a shim on loose clutch arms before ;)
easy to cut with good scissors
Thanks. I did not have any bushing the correct size. Thought about drilling out the hole and putting the proper shim/bushing in it. Next time I have it apart I will do something to it..!!!

VIP

Mar 30, 2010
maineville ohio
I finally got my Manic Mechanic Hub and sprocket installed.

Almost ruined it. I forgot to do my final tightening on the three sprocket bolts before I tested it and one of the bolts backed out till it was hitting the frame.

I was close to home..!! Fixed it now.

Gonna put some lock washers under them.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I finally got my Manic Mechanic Hub and sprocket installed.

Almost ruined it. I forgot to do my final tightening on the three sprocket bolts before I tested it and one of the bolts backed out till it was hitting the frame.

I was close to home..!! Fixed it now.

Gonna put some lock washers under them.

Looks great VIP....works great too huh ? :) .....what size wheel hub is that on your Cranbrook?....I need to know because I have one also and am going to get a sprocket and adapter for it from Pirate Cycles....

Appreciate it,
Salty.shft.

xwint3rxmut3x

May 27, 2010
Chicago
awesome man. I'm just about done with a cranbrook build, I used both spacers and ended up having to bend the break arm afterwards. May look into that sprocket for sure.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Regarding your cables. I don't shorten mine, but I do try to route them so that they are not failing about like a 5 year old in the deep end of the pool. The reason why I refrain from cutting the cables is in case whoever owns the bike decides to go to taller bars. I have a vid on youtube that shows how I routed the cables and wires off of the handlebars on my current bike here is a link to my page and the video is the most recent one YouTube - 5cud6uddy's Channel I hope that might give you some ideas. Basically what I did was use tie-wraps, buddied up the cables and wires as necessary and established break-off points as necessary. I did have to cut the clutch cable loose at one tie off location because it was impeding the clutch operation.