Thoughts/Experiences w/ HY22 built in 44t Wheel

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Don't buy anything from those crooks! I'll not comment one way or the other on the qualities of mag rims, but I will say that Kingsmotors, gasbike, and bikeberry are all notorious crooks! I also am also of bad opinion of SpookyTooth. Call Lynn at www.mbrebel.com she will build you a super strong wheel, and hook you up with a sprocket adapter for it. Manic Mechanic www.mmbikeparts.com makes very high quality hub adapters and sprockets. I cannot recommend you do business with crooks, sorry.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Nice reply, but does anyone have an opinion that is relevant to the question. No one questioned anybody's ethics, the question was about the mag wheel.

Reactions: waynesdata
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
it is just the kit sprocket drilled to fit the mags you can buy on ebay and comes prefitted, you can even see the bolts if you look on the site and zoom in the pictures. just buy the mags yourself and get a top hat adaptor to run both disk brake and sprocket on same side if you are going that way

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Ask motomagz about mag wheels and their drawbacks. Oh and that wasnt opinion, it was and is a fact, the companies I mentioned are proven to be bad business, by countless members on this forum.
The wheelset you linked to is junk, the company selling it won't stand behind their subpar product.

Mags look good, but ain't so easy to pull off on a MB. If you can find something that actually is purpose built, go ahead. But don't spend good money on garbage. Look around with the Search, you'll find the number of people running mags is very low,while the number of those same folks who have had problems is quite high.

I too had my heart set on some mags, but I've seen reasons not to use them prove out. How fast do you pedal a bike with your .2hp legs? A decent ChinaGirl will run at 35. What is built for one ain't meant for the other. You're already pushing every part of the bike WAAAY past it's design parameters, why compound the problems with self destructing wheels?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
The seller on ebay mzmiami(search ebay) runs those in just about every build and he does a lot!

He is a good vendor at least in my experience, got stuff on order now.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Read my post, http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=62945

I've used wheels with spokes and hub adapters and had those fail every single time too. I'm begining to think that rear wheels will always fail no matter what its just an expense of motor biking.

They only wheel I've had last is my wife's stock wheel with the rag joint. It doesn't slip and break spokes but it keeps coming untrue. I have to constantly true it. But then again she doesn't ride her bike very hard.

With a hub adapter over time if you don't constantly watch the hub it will slip ever so slightly from bump starting. I might go back to the drawing board and find a way to drill and tap the adapter to screw a socket set screw into the hub itself. Maybe even using JB weld would work but its lazy and you wouldn't be able to remove it when the wheel blows up from all the torque, an accident or a taco from hitting something hard/jumping the bike.

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
Read my post, http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=62945

I've used wheels with spokes and hub adapters and had those fail every single time too. I'm begining to think that rear wheels will always fail no matter what its just an expense of motor biking.

They only wheel I've had last is my wife's stock wheel with the rag joint. It doesn't slip and break spokes but it keeps coming untrue. I have to constantly true it. But then again she doesn't ride her bike very hard.

With a hub adapter over time if you don't constantly watch the hub it will slip ever so slightly from bump starting. I might go back to the drawing board and find a way to drill and tap the adapter to screw a socket set screw into the hub itself. Maybe even using JB weld would work but its lazy and you wouldn't be able to remove it when the wheel blows up from all the torque, an accident or a taco from hitting something hard/jumping the bike.
My mechanic sprocket adapter is also slipping from bump starting. About to try mbrebel adapter to mount sprocket to a six bolt disk hub. The reviews I found say disk hub mount is better than the manic mechanic sprocket adapter system.

Disc-Brake-Adapter.jpg

RAT RIDER #007

Jul 24, 2017
Ohio darnit
For the hub adapts just rough up the hub w/ emery cloth & the same to clam shells. McGuyver style. worked fine on mine. And lok-tight all the boltz. (just sayin)

RAT RIDER #007

Jul 24, 2017
Ohio darnit
I went with MBRebel on Board Track rimz w/11ga. spokes - front Sturmey-Archer 90mm drum brake. Paid her electric bill (LOL)

Last edited:

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
The threads stripped out of my drive sprocket after about a year on my hy22 set so I forced in some larger bolts tapering the tips with a dremmel then cutting off the bolt heads and securing the sprocket on with double nuts. Working for now, last few months anyway.