WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

GoldenMotor.com

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Hello All, I've stumbled across this forum completely by accident tonight while trying to find a double brake lever, I'm really pleased and I'm looking forward to checking out the forum and some of your build threads.
After a conversation with my boy Archie when he was 4 1/2 last year we decided he needed his own motorcycle for when he's older, so I bought a bike and a 50cc engine kit and we've been fixing it up on the weekends ever since, I didnt realize the bicycle engine had such a big following and cant wait to see what youve all been building.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Welcome.
For many it is a fascination with scales of economy and fun. For many it is an underground type of sport or a gear heads weekend puzzle.

But for some... it's an addiction. A sweet, sweet addiction.

RebelHellbilly

Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury,North Carolina
welcome:). around my way here its i guess an underground thang since imma only known 1 that rides and works on an MB. i have thought about the double brake lever for mine too. the 3 levers gits a lil annoying sumtimes when ya gotta stop fast lol :|

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Yeah I found that double lever an I'm giving it a lot of thought, I don't Think it's any good for my needs though, in the UK we've got to have two completely separate brake systems on our bikes if there to be used on the road, at the mo I'm thinking of having the two brake levers in the normal place and the clutch lever somewhere on the left side, I recently come up with a bit of a mad plan cos this has been holding me up for a while now, I can't wait to see how everyone else has overcome this issue.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yeah I found that double lever an I'm giving it a lot of thought, I don't Think it's any good for my needs though, in the UK we've got to have two completely separate brake systems on our bikes if there to be used on the road, at the mo I'm thinking of having the two brake levers in the normal place and the clutch lever somewhere on the left side, I recently come up with a bit of a mad plan cos this has been holding me up for a while now, I can't wait to see how everyone else has overcome this issue.
Hey dougy, cool that you found us. I've been using double levers from old mopeds for years on my custom builds. Maybe it's what you're looking for.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
That's fantastic ! it's exactly what I've been looking for, can you tell me were I can get one or the make an model ? HaHa I'm genuinly exited.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Another option if yer interested is pretty simple, the brake levers on my Schwinn are a lil short to begin with, moving them in on the bars a touch and with the clutch lever angled down a bit allows me to use 2 fingers on the brake and 2 for the clutch - this way I can use all three levers at the same time;

While I have the dual-pull brake lever on another build and it does work well, I hafta admit I still prefer having independent brake control, particularly in adverse road conditions *shrug*

Yer call tho, they're all valid solutions - oh, and welcome to the forum BTW lol, good ta have ya here :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Another option would be to use a coaster brake wheel in back... depending on what your bike is. Just a thought. A well made coaster brake can be very reliable along with a good front brake. Welcome to the forum. Post a photo or two of your project when you can.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That's fantastic ! it's exactly what I've been looking for, can you tell me were I can get one or the make an model ? HaHa I'm genuinly exited.
Most of the moped controls are Magura and used on a lot of the 70's brands like Peugeot, Puch, Motobecane and Garelli. I have a moped shop locally, but I also find them on ebay. Good luck on your build and we love photos.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Hey dougy, cool that you found us. I've been using double levers from old mopeds for years on my custom builds. Maybe it's what you're looking for.

That lever is the Holy Grail to me ! I've never seen anything like it, its even got what looks to be a space for the brake light switch, I've Googled me little heart out today and havent had any look there ! cant find anything on EBAY iether, I havent given up, its out there somewhere, in the meantime I'll put up some pics of my build so far.:-||

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England

Heres the bike I'm using for my build, I dont know much about it at all, It was a prize in a Grolsh beer promotion here in the UK and hasent any manufacturers name on it only the beer logo, I'm sure its an American bike but does anyone know the make and model ? It has a peddle back brake.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
Another option would be to use a coaster brake wheel in back... depending on what your bike is. Just a thought. A well made coaster brake can be very reliable along with a good front brake. Welcome to the forum. Post a photo or two of your project when you can.
SB
Cheers mate I have a peddle back brake on the bike I'm using and it was a big headache trying to figure out how to get a brake light on it ! In the end I gave up. I've posted a pic just waiting for the modorater to authorise it.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England

I decided to go for a built in petrol tank rather than use the teardrop tank that came with it, just made up a cardboard template first to see what it looked like.cvlt1

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England

And finally got the tank tig welded up, and afterwards had the filler spout and the petrol tap thread silver solded , nice and fuel tight (fingers crossed)..trlrl. I've not filled it up yet but I'm hoping for 2 or 3 liters.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool Dougy. Looks like your well on your way.

Is great to see folks sharing builds with lil ones. The bonding thing and some great stuff to learn from these things. Trial and error. Problem solving, mechanical skills. On and on.

Welcome and glad to meet ya!

Oh, purty cleaver using the pea tank fill tube. I had never thought of that. They are pricey.

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England

fitted a center stand and rack from a Dutch bike and also the rear sprocket went on a treat.zpt And also fitted a stainless steel pair of mudguards.

Last edited:

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England

The engine went in really easy, there was ony one place it could go without fouling anything so there it went, I only had to drill one hole through the front of the frame.rmfla