Starting bicycle engine on center stand

GoldenMotor.com

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
Hey I am just a new motorbiker and would like to know if there is a kickstand I can put on my bike that would allow me to start it while stationary? Also do you guys bail out when you see traffic approching in your rearview mirror?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: Starting on center stand

i am not sure of a stand that you could start it on. as far as cars i stay in my lane and not worry about them. of course i watch them but have never had a problem with them

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Cars? Unless they are police cars I ignore them....come to think of it, the cops have never hassled me, only waved.

Can't help with the center stand.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

Bail out when you see a car?.....Add a tuned pipe and gear up and you can leave the
cars in the dust (or at least a cloud of blue 2 stroke)!....Well at least in a residential zone... HA

Be safe tho...

Andrew

P.S. - Never saw a center stand made for a bike that was heavy duty enough to start
the engine with....Maybe you could custom fab one up or modify one off a moped
or scooter?

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento

Whizzer stands let me start a 138cc 4-stroke, AND let you remove either front or rear wheel for servicing, and yes they fit cruiser bikes.

Not cheap, all steel, well made, and they work.

Mike

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

I can let out the clutch hold the bikes rear tire in the air by holding on to the seat, and with a swift downward stroke on the bikes pedal kick start it but you can't let the rear tire touch the ground .As it starts I then pull in and lock the clutch and if needed take off the choke.
Just like kick starting the old Hog.:confused:
Norman

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan

Mike will that stand fit on a rockhopper and whats it called on your web site. Norman thanks I thought of that but my bike is not quite broken in yet but I hope I can do that when its broke in,its an 80 cc chinese 2 stroke.

Ted

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI

I can let out the clutch hold the bikes rear tire in the air by holding on to the seat, and with a swift downward stroke on the bikes pedal kick start it but you can't let the rear tire touch the ground .As it starts I then pull in and lock the clutch and if needed take off the choke.
Just like kick starting the old Hog.:confused:
Norman
that works pretty good norman. was 10 degrees out and took a few tries but got it to run. i like to start my motorized bicycle a few times during the long winter and that was alot better then riding in the cold

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com

If your asking for a stand to use for maintnance, I use a training/exerciser stand for starting bikes in my garage. You probably don't want to run your engine for very long because they will get hot with no air to cool them...Kelly

Frankinbike, built for a customer that didn't want to spend much money, he suplied the frame.

BillyB

Jul 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Someone please tell me if I'm crazy here:

While trying to trouble shoot why my bike wouldn't start, I figured it had to be either it wasn't getting fuel or it wasn't getting spark.

On a car, one backyard mechanic way to check is to take out a spark plug, lay it on top of the engine with the plug wire attached, and at night time, have someone crank the car over while you look to see if spark plug was sparking.

So one thing I thought of doing, in my troubleshooting was to take the gear drive cover off, put a socket on an a ratchet extension, put that in a cordless drill, and use the cordless drill to turn the motor over while I checked for spark.

Has anyone ever tried this?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Someone please tell me if I'm crazy here:

While trying to trouble shoot why my bike wouldn't start, I figured it had to be either it wasn't getting fuel or it wasn't getting spark.

On a car, one backyard mechanic way to check is to take out a spark plug, lay it on top of the engine with the plug wire attached, and at night time, have someone crank the car over while you look to see if spark plug was sparking.

So one thing I thought of doing, in my troubleshooting was to take the gear drive cover off, put a socket on an a ratchet extension, put that in a cordless drill, and use the cordless drill to turn the motor over while I checked for spark.

Has anyone ever tried this?
You don't hafta go that far. With the plug out you can simply turn the rear wheel by hand and check for spark.