Head stud swap and improvement?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
I want to replace the head studs. I saw on the pirate cycles website that they use allen bolts on the high comp heads. Where can i find bolts this long?

If i tap the head studs all the way to the bottom, can i get a tap that threads into the existing threads but will continue threading where there are no threads? (sorry for the semi confusing sentence, but that is as simple as i could get it)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Aren't u the 'New Guy' on the block???

It's a ht !

Ride it like you stole it !
When it blows, and if yer still smilin', getcha one a them Morini's !

...and it's cheaper to get another ht engine than to replace the crummy nuts and bolts!

just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! lol

Glad ur havin fun!
rc

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Thanks for the help GEOLDR :D

I dont know why you bother posting here Rusty, as my intentions are not going to change by what you say, espesially after i made a thread about it. I was not asking weather i should change them, i was asking, what do i change them to? :(

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ok, I'll ask forgiveness for my wise guy reply.

Ur still only going to get so much out of a cheapo engine!
The basic metalurgy is, well, junk!
...and many of the studs and bolt holes are too near an edge of the casting...

But I will admit they are fun to work on and everybody loves em for what they are.

I started stacking up my receipts for the improved nuts n bolts... then I tossed em because I could see it was gonna end up more than the cost of a replacement motor... honest!

...best advice I've gotten as far as your other post ... the four stroking part...
Solder up the main jet and drill it to #73 which is two steps smaller than what mine was stock... you'll probably be closer to the ballpark at that point. Set the needle circlip in the second from the top... take it from there...
rc

You could make a bottom tap like I have done... stick a standard tap in a vice, and smack it with a hammer to snap it off... instant bottom tap! and cheaper, by far.
bbbbut the problem is, as I said earlier, there's not sufficient metal there to work with and it's quite likely that threads will be pulled when removing the original studs. really !

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
M6? M8? Whats the pitch?

You can get the head bolt kit from SBP or pirate cycles. You can also go to the hardware store and get them yourself. Doing this you can select a much higher grade then 7,8, or 9. You can get grade 12 or up and know that they will not break. Don't stop with just the head studs, you'll want to replace the bolts around the engine as well. It helps give your engine a longer life :)

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
No hard feelings man. :p
Thanks for your courtesy, busted.

There's a lot lacking in communication via keyboard...
As you know, I really have NO IDEA who I'm talking to, and you can't see me waving my hands and making stoopid facial expressions while I'm making my presentation, such as it is... :) and emoticons don't really cut it, do they!

Even when discussing facts I have a rather casual attitude that many folks won't quite accept. We're all different, and that's what makes the world go 'round...

Bottom line is, these kit bikes are a great value for the money in spite of their limitations. And they are fun!

Fun to use, fun to work on, and just fun to appreciate for what they are, in the company of others.

I understand some folks want to build the best they can of a certain or specific widget, and how much enjoyment they might get from doing that.
I'll try to be more cautious at my keyboard in the future.

...really don't want any folks in SD ticked off at me, because I DO get down there from time to time and would not like to have anyone tossing stones at me because my ht is NOT a rapid getaway machine! :)
(I went by another radar street sign yesterday.... fat burbeling 4 stroking at WOT blazing along the Old King's Highway at 22mph ! LOL )

Best
rc

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
Exactly Rod.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll get started on that.

As for my next question. I was told to make sure that the head stud holes were tapped to the bottom. Would I have to RE tap the holes or find a tap that threads into the holes, and when it hits the bottom, I just keep turning?