Too many problems

GoldenMotor.com

Taz

Aug 18, 2012
Australia
So after deciding today to get stuck back into the bike project as my others are finished, i find that i have hit yet another brick wall (or several for that matter) My shift kit bracket doesnt fit my motor and my throttle body doesnt fit into the frame with the motor. I dremelled out the front motor mount again today and made it fit nicely to the frame (still yet to figure out how to stick it to the frame short of welding it though) and while it isnt a big problem, its still the hassle of finding someone to make me a custom hose/pipe then mounting the throttle body just outside the frame on an angle so it fits.
The first problem however is the biggest, and short of scrapping the bracket and making a custom one that will fit im f**ked for ideas.
Definitely over this project already, and while it is highly desirable to do this myself to learn etc i just want it over and done with, so again im wanting someone to put everything together for a nice paycheck-like reward (or are there actual places that will do this in brisbane for me?) Dont want help doing this just want to pay someone and get it over with, my motication for this has completely gone :(
I have already spent just under 1k on this so far and i havent done anything to progress is short of wrapping the exhaust and fitting the iridium spark plug - driving me insane!
So if anyone is interested feel free to contact me or post any ideas/places that will fix these issues for me - Cheers!

Attachments

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
In the first pic, the mounting of the shifter kit is wrong. Where you have the studs, they shoudl go in holes just above that one, and it looks like you are missing a required spacer that definately comes with the kit, is an aluminum spacer that do in between the engine and shifter kit.

also, With the shifter kit comes bolts to replace the original mounting studs. to remove the studs. take two nuts and tighten them against each other, then put a wrench to the bottom nut, lefty loosey, righty tighty.

Of course i am assuming you purchased the Sick Bike Parts shifter kit and not the copy thats floating around the nets.

Here is the instructions form SBP http://www.sickbikeparts.com/Manuals/SBP2 Manual001 Rev A.pdf
iLook at all the parts in your kit you will see what im talking about.

Taz

Aug 18, 2012
Australia
i did get the SBP shift kit. Perhaps i was a little quick to get into putting it togther, ill take another look at the shift kit maybe its in a corner of the box or something. Would still rather get someone else to put this together but i guess ill give it one more go if this problem is solved - however im pretty sure the bracket itself no matter which way or which hole i put t through is too big for the engine, but i guess we will soon find out haha!
Cheers

Taz

Aug 18, 2012
Australia
Hmm so after reading once again the installation manual on the SBP website, i have decided to indefinitely not tackle this myself, as there are numerous warning not to attempt this if you are not an experienced bike mechanic, or motorised bike mechanic. I am neither, **** i cannot even take off the rear freewheel, and barely managed to remove the crank.
Have done some research into which is the best bike shops to ring up and find out if they will even work on the bike.
cycling obsession in brisbane city, and victor cycles, also in brisbane city.
Hopefully either will have an attempt at doing all this work. I will just have to read up on maintenance for these things.
Hopefully it is up and running soon, and when it is ill put up a vid/pics of it :)
Cheers

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Doubtful a bicycle shop will work on it that extensively, most bicycle shops wont even TOUCH a motorized bicycle of any sort, because their insurance SPECIFICALLY prohibits it. Some will do a little work, but not as much as you need done. I have visited a few shops before learning how to do everything that needs done to my bike myself. One shop wouldnt touch it except to help me change a tire outside of his shop, wouldnt let me bring the bike inside. another swapped out my bottom bracket, but flat out told me he wouldnt do any other work on it. Mine was a one piece bottom bracket. I have learned to do everything myself since then, including servicing my bottom bracket and anything else you can imagine needing done to a beach cruiser. as I understand it, the instructions for installing these shift kits (from what I have heard, not personal experience) are about as detailed as they come. I think you can do it if you have a little confidence in yourself. I am not trying to be smart, but sbp even warns you before you buy the shift kit that it takes advanced mechanical skills to install, so why did you buy it if you didnt think you could install it yourself?