Sprocket adapters....

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
So Ive been idle for awhile because my bike broke again and I ended up buying another car, but I decided to start working on my bike again before winter. I keep having the same issue with this bike, the sprocket adapter keeps coming loose, I've tried sanding it down to make it fit better this didn't work because the holes for the sprocket didn't line up and I'm using a 1 inch adapter as is the hub. What else could I do to make it work? I don't want to keep breaking spokes or having the chain fall of from this thing coming loose.....Would putting duct tape under it work?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
There used to be tape called 'friction tape'.
My old man (way back in the 60s) used it all the time. It was like a rough fabric with tack to it, sticky.

You know, you might try a can of plasti-dip spray-on rubber stuff.
I used it to keep my tensioner and gas tank from moving around and it has worked fine.
Rough up the hub with emery cloth, spray a light coat on it, then spray a light coat inside the adapter.
When they have dried install the adapter and see if there is a small gap between the two parts. If the screws tighten down and there is no gap between the two halves, it would mean the thing might still slip.
Good luck to you.

Reactions: Agreen

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
There used to be tape called 'friction tape'.
My old man (way back in the 60s) used it all the time. It was like a rough fabric with tack to it, sticky.

You know, you might try a can of plasti-dip spray-on rubber stuff.
I used it to keep my tensioner and gas tank from moving around and it has worked fine.
Rough up the hub with emery cloth, spray a light coat on it, then spray a light coat inside the adapter.
When they have dried install the adapter and see if there is a small gap between the two parts. If the screws tighten down and there is no gap between the two halves, it would mean the thing might still slip.
Good luck to you.
Ordered the BBR - 1 Inch Sprocket for a seven speed electra cruiser build.. I was anticipating the clam to fit really tight on the hub. It has a gap as the photo shows of about 1 or less mm. I thought about cutting some rubber tubing to use as a spacer. Just checking here if anyone has any better ideas... Thanks.

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Rubber will never work.
Make a shim out of aluminum sheet of the right thickness.
Use at least a 6" long cheater tube on your allen wrench to tighten to 20' lbs.
There has to be a small even gap between the two halves when tightened down.

Measure your hub with calipers before ordering.
Ordered the BBR - 1 Inch Sprocket for a seven speed electra cruiser build.. I was anticipating the clam to fit really tight on the hub. It has a gap as the photo shows of about 1 or less mm. I thought about cutting some rubber tubing to use as a spacer. Just checking here if anyone has any better ideas... Thanks.

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
Two shims, one for each side of the clamp? Else the center would be off... I was bummed to experience that tiny gap, the website said the adapter was for 1 inch diameter 7 speed hubs...

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
You got it or maybe one piece of shim that wraps around without overlapping.
Steel sheet flashing could work too.

You gotta measure your hub diameter.
Take thin cardboard.
Cut out a 1" or xx? notch out that fits around your hub like a go, no go guage.
There's a guy in my town who builds motorcycles from ground up. He's going to stop by tomorrow but he mentioned the possibility of using a product to fill the gap called JB Weld. However I like the idea of making it tight with shims as a spacer/reducer.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There's a guy in my town who builds motorcycles from ground up. He's going to stop by tomorrow but he mentioned the possibility of using a product to fill the gap called JB Weld. However I like the idea of making it tight with shims as a spacer/reducer.
How would that even work?
You would still have to use centering shims.
Then how would you remove the adapter when needed?
I doubt that JB weld would hold..........

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
I'm going to avoid that. Simply because I like the idea of the adapter being able to slide to the point where the chain is aligned straight. Shim it and lock it down. I saw this sheet of plastic shim tabs that one can snap off. I wonder if that is a strong possibility too.

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah, that's kind of how my brain problem solves - look for improvisation type stuff. Are the rag joints all that terrible other than being a little tedious? I really need to get to the hardware store and look at aluminum sheeting and just get enough of a wedge to make the adapter nice and tight on the hub.

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
beer can...

el
I would like to try that can method....however, it was going to be $50+ for the new rim I messed up... Trying to cut my losses and spend yet more money, I am going to try the BBR Mag wheels... I ordered them the other day and waiting for them to come.... Big mystery to me is that I have never taken off/re-installed a freewheel before. I ordered a park tool for it, hoping that goes smooth with no mess ups. I am assuming I can thread that on the new mag wheels...

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
Safety is my big issue... If I have to keep revisiting spoke issues that could be solved by mag wheels, it is worth it... time will tell.

DBB

Jul 7, 2009
Florida
I smeared some two-part epoxy on the axle just before installing a sprocket adapter. Have to get it positioned just right the first time, though, so the chain will be in line and all the bolt holes will be accessible between spokes.

Hoofbeats64

Aug 29, 2017
Minnesota
I smeared some two-part epoxy on the axle just before installing a sprocket adapter. Have to get it positioned just right the first time, though, so the chain will be in line and all the bolt holes will be accessible between spokes.
Interesting you mention that. I thought about using JB Weld and some washers as shims. JB Weld will cold weld it. Question... Has that worked for you?