Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
New guy here with a few bits and pieces from a 1957 Simplex Servicycle. Been sitting in a barn for the last 35 years. It's fortunate this barn is located in S.W. Oklahoma and it's extremely dry here. There is rust for sure, mostly surface, yet the frame and roll bars are solid. Missing motor, drive train, foot rests and gas tank. I've found that there are many more frames available than motors. The rest of the good news is the frame and drop outs are straight, as is the front dual springer fork (small springs) as are the wheels and spokes front and rear. Both wheels have drum brakes that appear to be complete. No spokes brent or missing. Saddle is also misiing but the 6" headlight is proper and in very good condition.

I'll not be restoring this bike as it seems better suited to a resto/mod revival, and a better use of my time and resources. I've restored vehicles in the past, frame off, and spent years searching for all the pieces at any price and frankly at my age I don't want to spend much more than a few months on any project and I like to get restores right...see my album and if God smiles on me my future posts will include photos.

I have a long background riding/driving and modifying two wheels and 4 yet I look to others for inspiration and instruction. This Simplex fell into my lap, literally handed to me by an aquaintance. All he wanted for the little cycle was to see it on the road again. Dollars didn't matter. As I related he had this in a barn, always dreaming of getting it up and running for 35 years so I owe him this debt to fabricate and finance something he will be proud to watch and if he is able take the first solo on!

I'll try to get some before photos today or tomorrow as our weather is rather bad today. God bless, Rick C.

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Butch for the heads up, much appreciated. I'm going to attempt a photo attachment of the Simplex.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Indian you can make your pictures larger by using the max size allowed for each file type. I edit the pictures before time, it makes it easier for me. Try a larger size, the forum will tell you the max size for the type you are uploading.
The max size for jpg is 2200 x 1500, I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It'll get easier, Dan helped me a lot when I started trying to upload pictures. I had no idea that it would get so much better with the smart phones and tablets with good cameras.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm assuming that the Simplex frame has a serial number on it. Would that be enough to go through the hoops with your state DMV and getting it licensed as a motorcycle?
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Good question Silver Bear. Oklahoma DMV has recently made it much more difficult to retitle any motor vehicle...even antique. I recently (2014) went through 4 lost title/no title retitles for -1936 & a 1938 Chevy, 1951 Ford F-1 PU & a 1964 Chevy PU - sucessfully, prior to the new mandates going into effect & two of those were very difficult. I'll need to remove some layers of paint to, hopefully, reveal a serial number. Worst scenerio I'll end up with a trailer queen. If I convert to peddle power, which is the plan, I can ride on city streets as the local police & sherrifs dept. are quite tolerant towards my quirky antics. I don't care to travel the highways on anything moving slower than the legal speed of traffic , 70mph here in Oklahoma, but in reality closer to 80mph. Far faster traffic flow than I care to keep up with on an antique bike! Of course legal registration is the goal.

I intend to resto/mod this little Simplex regardless. Springer forks, drum or disc brakes, 150cc to 200cc with 4 or 5 speed gear train, kick/electric start, pedddle assisted and "simply not complex" - under 165 lbs. total, light & lively, more in the mode of the early "motobikes" of the nineteen teens, with the flavor of the Servicycle. Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Hey Butch hows your v-twin Briggs build coming? Few years back a friend and I did a Cushman Silver Eagle with a twin Briggs, 16hp if I recall and it was so sweet and fast. Had one of the best exhaust note with the baffles out (though extremely loud) Harley guys refused to ride behind us. Ed ended up with it and has since moved, hope he is still riding and enjoying it as well. I've been thinking a Honda 250cc twin with 5 speed in a stretch, drop loop frame would be killer as an Indian tribute board bike, but got enough projects to finish without starting anything new...just saying Rick C.

Reactions: lewdog7431

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW! The laws are changing every were. Must be some really jelous people making them. Got to watch this closer,welcom the the forum..............Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Curtis you and Silver Bear have brought up yet again the difficulties of staying legal on our highways and byways across the country, not just a motorized bycycle issue, but let's just stay on that topic for the time being. I don't have the national numbers for motorized bike deaths last year, but I do know that over 700 died across this nation on bicycles last year and that number has been growing yearly. The motorized bike death toll is a number that's perhaps buried in the bicycle/motorcycle death total.

Litigation is too often driven by the tragic and sensational. In a previous post I stated that it's my preference to stay off the highways on bicycles, motorized or not, because of the inability of keeping up with the flow of traffic. My choice, yes, but it's also the law in Oklahoma...I can't legally run at highway speeds and not be classified as a motor scooter or motorcycle...tag, registration, insurance & license endorsement. Guys, making registration harder for our builds is only one of the statute issues facing our pastime. We are a small minority on the roadways and are often viewed as "road hazard" and obstacles in daily commute. We are the objects of road rage too often by our 4 wheeled driving, speeding, over medicated, texting, coffee drinking, hair curling fellow travelers. Tell me you've never felt threatenen by others on a routine ride or run off the road for no reason (what would be a good reason?). These SAME citizens will be on their cells calling 911, councilmen, congressman or talk show host about the two wheel menace. Deaths, injury reports & hostile non-riding public opinion all support litigation that can greatly change our hobby and life style.

I prefer to be proactive rather than reactive, for if we wait and do nothing the laws will end up on the books and then it's extremely difficult to see them removed. What does proactiving riding involve? This is what I think it looks like. Ride safely, defensively and legally. Obey the riding regs of your state, respect those who enforce the law and promote motorized biking at every opportunity. In a previous post I alluded to the local police in my small town, they are aware of my quirks, but in a good way. None have ever given me a warning let alone a citation. Good guys? I think so, but more than that they have never had a reason to. I stop (completely),signal my intentions and don't speed or ride recklessly. Old man, yes I am and a courteous driver/rider. Just because I'm in the right does'nt make me right, being courteous especially when it's not expected is memorable to those "hectic lives" speeding by us. Building good will one individual at a time is the proactive way to avoid more restrictive regulations regarding our builds and our riding.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Old man,yes we both are also, and just like you are courteous. I haven't ridden much but what i have bone is all on side streets,witch is just a block or two to the side of main roads. Silverbear is lucky as they have main trails that lead to town were he lives,and is a very small town with only two stop lights. Were i live is a twin city Brainerd/baxter and most of the shops have moved to the main hwy in Baxter. That leves less traffic were i live. But getting to baxter invalves crossing the river so one has to hit the main road for a short distance.
About the law they have changed it here also in the last year,we have to be the same as moped now with all the goodies lights and such. So for me its 50cc max unless i go off road. Can't ride on bike trails as no motorized bike or vehicals. yet they let snowmobiles on there in the winter.................Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rick,
I concur with your post and strategy for setting a good example of safe and courteous riding. I am more in accordance with traffic laws on my bike than I am in my truck, where I will sometimes come to a rolling stop or fail to signal when I know there is absolutely no one around to see the signal. But on the bike I keep it strictly within the law as a matter of habit. I don't have a 50cc bike anymore. Three are right at 100 CC's and one I'm building now is 200 CCs. All have lights and the 99CC Predator has a 49CC sticker. I will probably go through the hoop jumps of registering the 200CC bike as the engine is obviously large. I've been riding for some years and have never been stopped. I think being an elder helps, but not speeding, staying off sidewalks, coming to full stops, using hand signals, wearing a helmet and smiling a lot are more helpful than just being an old guy.
SB

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Both you guys got it....harder to avoid stops in the big metro areas, easier in the boonies- behave ourselves and play the old geezer card as often as possible and be humble. The most asked question of me about motobikes is how fast will it run? My normal reply is "the posted town limit no more no less". Or "twenty five on a bike is fast enough" sometimes I use "have you ever fallen from a bike going 15mph?" Regarding sidewalks and parking lots with heavy foot or motor traffic I peddle. I run quiet pipes in town my country road bike has a moderately loud expansion chamber with short muffler (custom fitted & tuned) and just loafs at the posted 35mph on a high tuned China girl 66cc & 44 sprocket. I do have a private, flat, paved landing strip that a buddy owns that I can wind a bike or auto out on...still like speed just pick my legal opportunities. Seriously I'd prefer never taking another hard fall!
All goes back to proactive public & legal relations and personal humility which I didn't incorporate in my youth & don't really expect other to follow suit in their youth either, although much pain could be avoided of the variety that is self inflicted!

Silver Bear Minn. is so beautiful I envy your setting...in the warmer months especially. Your builds incorporate some larger engines which is so cool. Responsible operation of your bikes have kept you out of harms way both physically and legaly. 35cc or under in Oklahoma is the law so I'm over displaced on all my builds as well. To public and police I refer to the motor as a commercial size weed eater and gets smiles and knowing head shakes. Running vintage style frames I think a 400cc Briggs would get a pass from our Deputies, police and most State Troopers, but regardless of the engine size 45+ will get you hammered by the DPS Troopers on state roads and highways.

Curtis I'm a fan of mountain bikes as well and having access to ski areas, state and federal parks etc. has been and will continue to be a struggle for all bikers especially motorized. Fire hazard,noise, erosion and public as well as wildlife endangerment are most often the cited mantra for those who know whats best for you and me. I don't see much future off road for any type of motorized sport. I have a custom built Bronco constructed for fast desert motoring & it hasn't seen dirt over the last two years...problem all legal trails are overcrowded or much too distant to make the trip worthwhile. Isuppose I'll make her street legal and sell as such...pity. Not to worry plenty to do just have to keep adjusting to change and do our best. Rick C.