Float Stuck ???or Ice Building Up In The Carb Somehow???

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
I have a dellroto sha 16.16 carb and its been beautiful so far no problems untill today, as i left for work this morning mind it was -15 Celcius the bike would run very lean with the choke off i figured it was just cold mayb let it warm up and magic would happen but the only way i could get it to go so that i wouldnt b late is have the choke on then click it off and it would pick up than after about 50 yards starve for gas again, i didint have time to stop and look and figure it out as i was running late for work cuz the bike was running slower than it should be and i cant do half choke as its spring loaded its either on or off or i can hold it with my finger as i ride but that doesnt work to well, so as i came up to this curb pretty fast i cleared the front tire but the rear hit it hard and guess what magic happened the bike picked up and did its 31mph (44 tooth sprocket) and i made it to work on time, after work i though id let it warm up and it did the same thing so i picked up the bike and let it drop onto the tires and the problem went away again, im thinking its either the float getting stuck or im getting icing somewere from the water in the gas (Canadian gas is pretty sh itty), i havent gotten a chance to look at the bike its to cold out its almost -20 i was wondering if anyone has any idead perhaps agrees or dissagrees with me??? thought id do a lil brainstorming before i tackle it as i have about 10-15 min before my hands freeze with gloves

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
You probably have carb icing. It is not from water in the gas though. I have seen it in airplanes, vw's, and 8n ford tractors. The only way to stop it is to put a shroud around the exhaust and draw the carb air through the shroud to warm it up.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
the only problem is my ride to work and back is less than a mile at -15 the engine doesnt warm up enough by the time i get to work, you really think its a waste of my time takin the carb appart i was surprized to have isues with a quality carb and its y i though it probobly would b some icing happening?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Spit fire,

I think elmo is right!

On a hot, humid, day you can see moisture collecting at the top of 4 barrel carb on a V-8 auto engine.

A method to warm the carb as he suggested, may be your only option...and considering how short your ride is, it may not be practical. It's just too COLD!

I would try removing the Dellorto and putting the kit carb on and see what happens. The kit carb is so primitive that it may work fine.

Jim

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
ohhh man thats the last thing i wanted to hear i dont know if ijust got the world worst carb but that carb gave me nothing but trouble i couldnt go over a bump without it cutting out, as sson as i got the motor vibrating strong enough the gas would buble or get all shook up in the bowl and nothing wouldn get suck threw the jet :(

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Low float setting?...I think taking warm air form the around the exhaust sounds good too

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Usually a carb ice problem results in a stuck slide - preventing the engine from returning to idle, that doesn't sound like the problem yer having. Also carb ice would only be an intermittent problem depending on ambient humidity - at -15 Celsius odds are the air would be really dry... so I don't think icing up is the problem, I'd check for a sticky float.

If you still suspect carb ice, the next time it happens pop the air filter off and peer inside - it'll be ringed with frost & ice and really easy to see.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
thanks for all the usful info guyz i was also leaning toward the stuck float as its fine after droping the bikes onto its wheels to give it a a shake i guess it knocks it loose i just wasnt expecting this for a 70$ dellroto carb :( i thought my carb problems were done and over with