I hit a bug!

GoldenMotor.com

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Ive heard stories of motorcycle riders hitting bugs at warp speed taking halve there faces off, myth or fact because of it i have always worn safty goggles when riding my HT.
Except today, going for a quick test ride after some tweeks i hit a bug smack between my eyes! whateva he or she was it was really hard, i was whoopin so this combined with whateva speed it was doin well you can imagine. I yanked on the breaks stopped to checked myself. Im fine, Poor little bug.

So with this in mind what do you all wear, classes goggles nothin ?

Steve

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I wear eye glasses full time, so I don't worry about goggles
my left eye doesn't work, so it has a black lens (like a patch:))
a coupla weeks ago I had a bug commit suicide all over the one lens...luckily it was the left !!!
little bugger almost covered the whole lens ! :eek:

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I too, where glasses so the eyes are literally covered. Is kinda funny but the bug thing was brought up on another thread. That day I eaten my first and second bug. Had to learn to grin and not smile broadly. Had lots bounce off my face and forehead (b4 listening to the sage advice here and started wearing a helmet) Never really thought of bugs as a great danger, though a tasty treat. But live in the north east of the US. They don't get really large as they do in other places.

Was cool reading your post and empathy for the "poor lil bug"

Is an important safety issue, glasses or goggles. Being an eye glasses wearer-er, I never thought about it. Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Riding a motor bike is no different from riding a motorcycle or driving a roadster. Way back when, in the days of my first hot rods my second one was a topless 32 Ford. Let a bug smack you in the kisser at speed, or a small stone or even a big leaf and you'll learn quickly to wear something in front of your eyes. I just picked up a pair of Harley Davidson safety glasses with a wrap-around tinted lens. They work great...and they sort of give me that 'Terminator' look.
Tom

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Guy's dont your eye's or eye (sorry az) water, even with my safty classes my eyes cry like a baby.
I have a helmet with tinted visor only but that looks a bit funky on.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
tryin to find some RAF surplus goggles under 30 but all there is are replicas. so I'll stick with the shades that I use for skiing, although they are a little tweaked from one of my epic wipeouts, and on west coast mountains that means something, unlike those panzy east coast hills with some frost on them. Also goin with a wind breaker, my friend hit a yellow jacket at 20 on his e-bike and bruised his whole shoulder, those wasps got some serious meat to 'em.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
mybe off topic a little but the little woman offered to buy me a helmet for my b day ya just turned 59 so where is the rhread that has those groovy looking leather helmet? i think they came out of hong kong, later frank

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
To stop the tearing problem at speed, I suggest doing what 2Door did.
Go to any Harley store and pick up a pair of riding glasses. They are shaped a bit different than regular sunglasses in an effort to keep the wind off of your eyeballs. Some even have soft foam pads that go around the inside (face side) of the lens area, sorta like goggles.
It is best to choose by how well they fit the contours of your face. If you choose by looks alone you will probibly be dissapointed, while still tearing.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Joe.

Optically bug free since 2008; (The pint helps divert airflow)

Way off topic, (I know, hard to believe I would ever suggest going off on a tangent) but we really have to do a helmet and now goggle contest some time. I forget who but some one rode with a Spartan helmet! Is a hysterical pic some where. Spartan Helmet with Liberace glasses? That would be funny. (well, with a super hero, crime fighter cape)((trust me on this. Only short capes as they get caught in the spokes and chain and will make you look silly-er))

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL Joe.

Optically bug free since 2008; (The pint helps divert airflow)

Way off topic, (I know, hard to believe I would ever suggest going off on a tangent) but we really have to do a helmet and now goggle contest some time. I forget who but some one rode with a Spartan helmet! Is a hysterical pic some where. Spartan Helmet with Liberace glasses? That would be funny. (well, with a super hero, crime fighter cape)((trust me on this. Only short capes as they get caught in the spokes and chain and will make you look silly-er))
That was Jason, (what ever happened to him, anyway?) He wore a cape and it got sucked into the rear sprocket. He only did it once though.
Tom