Chain ring upgrade-- Is it safe?

GoldenMotor.com

nubikeshop

Aug 23, 2009
In Virginia
Hey all. A build of mine has a 68.5cc with a 44 tooth rear chain ring. Gets above 30 easily, max of 39 downhill. I was curious if it would be safe to upgrade to a 36 or lower tooth chain ring. It would be cool to get some extra speed out of this thing, but would I be seriously compromising safety, structural integrity, ability to start easily, etc...?

Thanks everyone

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
a 36 will give more top-end at the cost of bottom
ie...more speed but less torque
hills will be harder and so will launch
your rpms will be lower for same cruising speed = longer engine life
hope that helped :)

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Hey all. A build of mine has a 68.5cc with a 44 tooth rear chain ring. Gets above 30 easily, max of 39 downhill. I was curious if it would be safe to upgrade to a 36 or lower tooth chain ring. It would be cool to get some extra speed out of this thing, but would I be seriously compromising safety, structural integrity, ability to start easily, etc...?

Thanks everyone
I would say it all depends on how safe you think your bicycle is at 40 m.p.h. Most of these bikes weren't made for that for any extended period of time.
Myself, I only use the best components and some very good tires, and still don't care to go 40.m.p.h.
That is strictly my opinion!

John

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
40mph ..safe..no..a bicycle is not a motorcycle....I also use the best moving parts and the best tires..I think 30mph is pushing your luck

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
do you pedal a lot now ?
when I did mt lemon, I was on the deviate and was using a 48,,,never pedalled once
but, on the jag I pulled the trailer all over the hills here with a 40