How to keep from getting thrown off?

GoldenMotor.com

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
When I try to start my bike I pedal and then pop the clutch. But if it is doesn't start, because its cold or whatever, the wheel locks and that sucker throws me righ down onto to ground. It hurts, it scratches the bike and it is humiliating as heck. How do I stop it from throwing me? I tried loosening the clutch a little which makes the wheel not lock so tightly when the engine does not start. It also allows me to keep pedaling (though difficultly) with the clutch "popped" if the engine does not start. But the drawback is that I have to be pedaling faster to get the engine to turn enough to start.
Is the clutch adjustment the answer or is there another solution? :-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
When I try to start my bike I pedal and then pop the clutch. But if it is doesn't start, because its cold or whatever, the wheel locks and that sucker throws me righ down onto to ground. It hurts, it scratches the bike and it is humiliating as heck. How do I stop it from throwing me? I tried loosening the clutch a little which makes the wheel not lock so tightly when the engine does not start. It also allows me to keep pedaling (though difficultly) with the clutch "popped" if the engine does not start. But the drawback is that I have to be pedaling faster to get the engine to turn enough to start.
Is the clutch adjustment the answer or is there another solution? :-||
Keep your clutch adjusted tight enough not to slip or it will also slip under power when the engine is running you down the road, and as to getting thrown off the bike when the clutch is popped and the engine doesnt start........all I can say is that maybe you need to brace yourself a little better and make sure you are stiff arming the handle bars with your elbows locked straight before you pop that clutch, just hang on tight and as we say in Texas "Let-ur Rip"

.wee.

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
This same thing would happen to me. I would pop the clutch and the wheel would lock up when the bike wasn't that warm. It's gone now not sure why. All I know is that I replaced the chain with a new one and got an exhaust and what but I'm not sure why it just disappeared. I never flew off my bike though. LOL.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I went through a period where my clutch wouldn't disengage (eventually fixed it by replacing a bearing). I geared the bike down by using a smaller front chainring, and starting was much easier (with the clutch engaged). If you have a single speed coaster brake rear wheel, you may try a 3 speed coaster brake wheel like Nexus, Sachs or Sturmey Archer. That low first gear can be used for engine starts.

sofasurferlinux

Jun 24, 2009
Davison, Mi
Max. That little icon is exactly what it looks like. But it does not happen while riding. After it starts everything is good. Its when I pedal and then pop the clutch and when it fails to start (the motor stops spinning) and the wheel locks (because its linked to the motor) and then I get thrown down. I think a contributing factor is that I am in a slightly forward leaning position and when the bike stops
I have no leverage to hold me from pitching forward. I think I will losen the clutch a little more and I think it is a good idea to find some handle bars that are closer to chest level.
I do wish I had a video. It is funny...in hide sight.:-||

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
um... I'd not mess w/the clutch, it sounds like it's workin' perfect. This all sounds exactly the same as when I try an' start my Schwinn when it's cold... Just keep pedaling?

When I let go the clutch I time it so I'm just about to start another down stroke on the crank and jus' keep pedaling, much like a kickstart. If I don't she'll just skid every time *shrug*

I suspect those that don't need to keep pedaling to prevent a skid (cold) may have lower compression... compression isa good thing ;)

Last edited: