2 stroke straight pipe

GoldenMotor.com

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I'm new at all of this and I need to know if a straight pipe will hurt my 2 stroke engine? Are there things I have to watch out for or things I have to take into consideration? One of the reasons I wanted to try a straight pipe is the sound. I would like a lower throaty sound that I think a straight pipe would give. Can someone please shed some light on this subject. Are there good points and bad points?

thanks in advance

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
What do you mean by a straight pipe? Just a lenght of pipe the same size the length of the run, with no "can" or muffler? On a two stroke engine your performance would suffer, there needs to be backpressure. On a four stoke it might not affect performance as much.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
What do you mean by a straight pipe? Just a lenght of pipe the same size the length of the run, with no "can" or muffler? On a two stroke engine your performance would suffer, there needs to be backpressure. On a four stoke it might not affect performance as much.
Hi misteright.... yea I was just talking about a length of pipe. Thanks for letting me know that performance would suffer. The reason that I'm wondering about all of this is that my next door neighbor is a great welder and said that he would make me one if we could come up with something to make. Can you point me in a direction? I need to know how to make a muffler!

I figure we can come up with a prototype and share it with a few friends and see how they like it and get some feedback. We just might have us the beginnings of a small muffler company lol...

I appreciate your input and help. And anyone else's too!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I've seen some that have made a straight pipe that looks like a motorcycle type pipe and then weld the original muffler on the end of the pipe. I've never heard one though so don't know if it would acheive the sound you are after or not.........................

MarkTur

May 23, 2008
In my experience racing rc cars and trucks I learned a bit about tuned pipes. The length of the manifold (the length of pipe between motor and the "can" muffler) makes all the difference in the world. Longer = top end, shorter = low end power.

USUALLY, the designer of a muffler has a typical power range that they're looking to acheive at certain rpm's. A TUNED PIPE is when the length is set for a particular purpose.

So the real question is: what do you want to CHANGE in the performance? That will also help you determine "what" to do. It takes experimenting, and you have to be careful not to cut the pipe too short or lengthen it too long, where you will be moving the powerband to the wrong place.

Personally, I'm quite surprised nobody has really jumped on this to come up with their own brand of pipe...I do know that Dax has one, but I haven't seen it in stock ever.

I also think that if you're looking for a sound change, and perhaps more power, too, that you can remove the baffle from the stock pipe. I've read threads on how to do this before. If you're going to do that, I'd love to hear the results of it. I think that's the quickest and best change you should make because it's not permanant.

I have successfully pulled the baffles out of 2-stroke pipe and gained a performance increase (as well as a sound increase).

Hope that helped! :)
Mark

crabdance

May 16, 2008
In my experience racing rc cars and trucks I learned a bit about tuned pipes. The length of the manifold (the length of pipe between motor and the "can" muffler) makes all the difference in the world. Longer = top end, shorter = low end power.

USUALLY, the designer of a muffler has a typical power range that they're looking to acheive at certain rpm's. A TUNED PIPE is when the length is set for a particular purpose.

So the real question is: what do you want to CHANGE in the performance? That will also help you determine "what" to do. It takes experimenting, and you have to be careful not to cut the pipe too short or lengthen it too long, where you will be moving the powerband to the wrong place.

Personally, I'm quite surprised nobody has really jumped on this to come up with their own brand of pipe...I do know that Dax has one, but I haven't seen it in stock ever.

I also think that if you're looking for a sound change, and perhaps more power, too, that you can remove the baffle from the stock pipe. I've read threads on how to do this before. If you're going to do that, I'd love to hear the results of it. I think that's the quickest and best change you should make because it's not permanant.

I have successfully pulled the baffles out of 2-stroke pipe and gained a performance increase (as well as a sound increase).

Hope that helped! :)
Mark
Hey Mark. That helped a lot! You see, I'm lacking in the basic knowledge of tuned pipes right now and I'm trying to wrap my brain around it all. What you said made a lot of sense. I didn't know about "longer = top end and shorter = low end". That helps a lot.

I had not thought about what I wanted to change when it comes to performance. I guess I would want a pipe that is tuned for cruising speed. That seems to make sense to me. What do you think?

Someone has come up with their own tuned pipe. They have a prototype now and expect to go into production soon. The problem is that they are going to be asking around $280.00 for the pipe! That just sounds like too much to me. Yea it looks neat but I think there is a market for a less expensive pipe. I know I can make one for a lot less. I'm sorta tinkering with the idea of maybe having my own muffler company. I know it would be down the road, but it would be a labor of love and I know from talking to people that there is a market for it if it's reasonably priced.

I get my kit the middle of next week so I might take the baffle out of it then. If so I will be sure and let you know how it turns out. Since you said that you have done it... can you tell me what's involved with taking the baffle out? Thanks.

Thanks for all the great help. It's appreciated.

crabdance

May 16, 2008
I've seen some that have made a straight pipe that looks like a motorcycle type pipe and then weld the original muffler on the end of the pipe. I've never heard one though so don't know if it would acheive the sound you are after or not.........................
Thanks... I will keep this in mind when it comes to trying things out for the first time!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I make my own pipes I don't think they are what you would call true tuned pipe but I've made 4. Two for my bikes and one for Cruiser and one for Ilikeabikea and they didn't complain. I still have the rough patterns if you boys and girls are interested. The metal to use to make these is go to the body shops and ask for the wreaked body panels the shops will give them to you. I made all the pipes out of a dodge hood skin and a oxy/ acet. torch. I have pictures on this forum of my bikes with their pipes.
One week end me and ilikeabikea put on a live video how to on making a pipe on this forum so we showed that the average guy could do it, some of you people saw it quite boring.rotfl

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I make my own pipes I don't think they are what you would call true tuned pipe but I've made 4. Two for my bikes and one for Cruiser and one for Ilikeabikea and they didn't complain. I still have the rough patterns if you boys and girls are interested. The metal to use to make these is go to the body shops and ask for the wreaked body panels the shops will give them to you. I made all the pipes out of a dodge hood skin and a oxy/ acet. torch. I have pictures on this forum of my bikes with their pipes.
One week end me and ilikeabikea put on a live video how to on making a pipe on this forum so we showed that the average guy could do it, some of you people saw it quite boring.rotfl
I for one would like a pattern for your pipe. with measurements. Post a link to the video.
Thanks in advance.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
What I have found works well and is not that hard to do is adapt a pocket bike tuned pipe. They are inexpensive, not that difficult to adapt, and as long as you make provisions to adjust the length until you get it where you want it will work very well.

Attachments

Last edited:

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Hi Norman, Yes, I am VERY interested in the patterns you have. If you can would you mind emailing them to me? here's my email addy: [email protected]
If you don't mind me asking, do you have another one laying around that you are not using? I would love to be able to have an idea of what the finished product is like. Maybe even try it out on my bike before I do a build on the pipe. If not that's ok. I know you don't really know me or anything. So that's cool. Can you give me a link to the video where you showed how to make a pipe? I would NOT find it boring.

Don't know if I said this yet but my next door neighbor is a welder and he will help me out with just about anything I want to make. He's really good too. He can even weld from blueprints.

Guess I should go now. I look forward to your pattern and "maybe" a pipe. You have been so very helpful. Thanks a bunch!

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
What I have found works well and is not that hard to do is adapt a pocket bike tuned pipe. They are inexpensive, not that difficult to adapt, and as long as you make provisions to adjust the length until you get it where you want it will work very well.
I gave seen your instructions on another channel on how to use a daves motors pipe.
They no longer sell the pipe. So you have a new source of pipes.

Last edited:

crabdance

May 16, 2008
Hi Ghost, Thanks for the idea... I will google them once I get through with this note. Everyone is being so helpful. I thank everyone so very much. I'm hoping to come out of this with a pipe that I can repeat manufacture and let all my friends (that's ya'll) try them out. I will do some searching and talk to my neighbor about it and see what he thinks...

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Guys the video was live not recorded sorry about that.
As for the patterns I have they are paper. I was planning on selling them and it would be by mail I'd have to make copies of them what would be a fair price? There is no garrentee you would like or be able to make them work either. My bikes are withthe pipes are on this forum but I don't know where its gotten big but if you look you will see them.
Building one of these pipe will take you about 2 days of work it is not real easy I hand roll the sheet metal and its all hand fitted so the end product isn't show room stuff unless you like to grind and sand and polish etc.
I'll look and see if I can find pictures here of my bike.
Crusier had a real nice picture of his bike after he put the pipe on.
Another thing you can find tuned pipes on ebay and with a gas welder cut and modify them to fit your bike and remember if you need extra metal there is nothing wrong with going to a auto body shop and asking for the skins to make the extra parts you need.