A big Canadian Hello

GoldenMotor.com

OneTreeStudio

Jul 9, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Hey guys,

I hope you can help me with my latest project. I am converting a chopper style bicycle with a four inch wide rear rim to an electric assist. I found a local retailer who has a hub motor that will fit my bike but they want several thousand dollars to do the conversion. Neither my pride nor my bank account agrees with that.

I have been searching for chopper conversion kits with minimal to no success. If anyone knows where i can buy a hub motor that will fit a wide rim or can lend any insight i would be thrilled to document and post the entire process. I am a photojournalist and have everything i need to to do the job right on that end.

Basicly I am trying to add a hub motor and battery to an existing frame with a four inch wide rear rim, I want the motor to attach to the rear rim and not the front. If anyone knows where i can buy parts i would be thrilled.

Thanks all

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum OneTreeStudio, glad you joined us.

Hmmm, to be honest hub motors I know very little about, hopefully someone with more experience can offer some advice.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. It might be easier to use a front hub motor. I saw one guy mount the controller on his long fork and mount batteries low in the frame.
You might consider a cyclone system that drives your pedal chain (cyclone-usa.com).
Lastly, you could purchase an e-motor, fab motor mounts, and drive a separate chain and sprocket like a gas motor kit.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
one of my favorites,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
#1 05-05-2010, 04:10 AM
KiM
Motorized Bicycle Member Join Date: May 2010

Full Custom Built e-Cruiser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G'day members, i presume this is the correct section for this my bike is a crusier
and it has a motor :)

I have a comprehensive worklog on Endless Sphere electrical bicycle forum in the 'non hub motor section' can be found under the title "Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog"i thought there might be a few here that are into electrics and might like to see it.

The bike is fully custom built by myself (with exception to the forks, they are ChoppersUS springers)
The frame is made from mild steel and mig welded

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello from Vancouver. Try Justin at ebikes.ca here in Vancouver. I'm building an e-bike and he has been a world of help.
Don't think he sells hubs by themselves but he is a great person to ask. He does, I think have an e-motor that goes on the bike frame. Check thier web site.

Steve.

OneTreeStudio

Jul 9, 2010
Calgary, Canada
thanks for the response everyone,

It does seem as though the front end hub motor is the easy solution but i have my doubts as to traction, especially with the greater torque output of an electric motor. not to mention the style aspect and the my tendency to always do things the hard way. (just to keep life interesting)

I am of the belief that a hub motor will create less resistance than a pedal chain driven system, does anyone here think that the difference is substancial enough to worry about?

I think for the sake of style and performance ( the rear tire being wider and carrying more weight) i would still like to go for the rear tire hub motor. I am going to try and contact this Justin fellow and go from there. I will start a new thread in the appropriate field and post a link here. thanks for the help everyone!!