No startup after winter storage

GoldenMotor.com

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
Hi all,

I built my "80cc" Chinese kit bike last summer, and since September I've started it about once every 2 months to ensure the engine would still start. Last week I thought it was time to take it for a ride and I noticed it was running rough, and it had about 1/2 the power as it did before. I thought cleaning the carb would be a good idea.

After taking apart the carb and spraying it with carb cleaner I put everything back together and tried again. Unfortunately it will not start - I get compression but no start. Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought it also could be any of the following:
1) old gas (it's from December, but I used preservaton fluid in the gas can)
2) electrics - I'm thinking of checking the spark plug/CDI and also maybe its a bad kill switch

Otherwise I'm not certain. Is there a post regarding springtime tune ups on the forum?

Thanks for any help,
Cycofast

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
The old rule: got gas, got spark should run (not necessarilly well though). Gas is a little on the old side but not really old. Make sure your plug isn't fouled. Are you sure the petcock is flowing? Use the tickler to completely flood the carb until gas flows out. Then try. Hope this helps, keep us posted!

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
Joe,

Not yet, I probably won't have time to work on it until the weekend, but I thought I'd ask to help the brainstorming process. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

-Cycofast-

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you got to have a spark, and you have to have something to burn. If it was running fine when you shut it down, then my first guess is something in the fuel system is plugged.
Got gas in the tank?
Fuel tank petcock opening plugged? the part that is in the tank then the petcock its self?
Got fresh gas with proper oil mix?

Got a fresh fuel line and inline filter will fuel come out of the line where it connects to the carb?
Is the float needle free to open and close no poo in its seat? Will the float--- float?
is the main jet open blow compressed air through it with it in the carb and is the opening from the main jet to the emulsion tube where the needle slides in and out of open.
air filter open spiders didn't turn it into a hotel over the winter?
same thing for the carb mice or bugs didn't try to take over the bike make a home or try to eat parts of it. mice like wiring insulation for some reason kind of a mice candy liquorish.

When you have checked that and you have fuel dripping out of your sneakers from all the messing around with the carb, sent the spiders and mice a packing(poor little things now they are homeless) it should start with a good spark from the plug, fuel from the carb.
good luck
Norman

Cycofast

Jun 2, 2008
Indiana
Hi all,

I think I solved part of the issue. The first problem was lack of spark - after fiddling and shocking myself several times I got a nice consistent spark. The connection to the CDI and the plug itself were lose at both ends.

I filled the tank with fresh gas/oil and primed it, but still no start. The next step will be checking the needle seat, but I think I can guess what the problem is. Last summer my carb float filled with gas and did not work properly, so I improvised by tracing a patten and cutting one out of cork which has worked like a charm (I posted a photo in a post last July). However, I suspect that gas may have deteriorated the cork by now, so I will likely break down and order a new part from dax (unless anyone else has a better suggestion of where to buy parts).

Anyway, I'll have to order the new part and I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for everyone's help. Please let me know if there is anything else anyone can suggest.

Best,
Cycofast