First motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

JoeyChop

May 30, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Hey guys,

I have been into choppers and motorcycles since I was a kid. Having owned and build a few custom chops I decided to build a custom motorized bike. My buddy has a "BroPed" and after seeing photos of it on Facebook I was thinking it was cool but lacked any style. So I set off on a journey to build a badass bike. I started off with a 26" Huffy Nel Lusso Beach Cruiser.

I started with the installation of the Monarch Dual Springer HD Front Forks

I had to modify the frame to fit the gas tank. I finished these sections off by tapering the ends out.

I then finish mounted the tank and installed the 4 inch Motorcycle 1"OD handlebars ( I am using many motorcycle parts for this build as they have the style I am after and built really well and should last a long time) Notice the seat pan. Its a cardboard cutout to make a template for the motorcycle seatpan I have on order.

for the neck I am using a black bmx stem with a 1 1/8" stem adapter. I am also using an aftermarket dirtbike clutch lever and a Biltwell Whiskey Throttle Assembly

I am planning on adding a Black Profile 3pc crank, Black 44t Profile Sprocket, Dual bar kickstand, Front disc brake and a set of Aluminum Magnesium rims.

I am also welding the rack on the back however I am dropping it 3 inches to clean up the lines of the bike. Right now I am awaiting parts and prepping the bike for paint. On assembly I plan on using red and blue loctite for the bolts also I am using rubber washers between every metal washer and metal part and inserting rubber shims in between the motor fins also am going to use a piece of a tube to pad the insides of the motor mounts all in the hopes of calming the rattle from vibration. I am coating the inside of the chain guard and rear fender with rubberized coating as well. I plan to hide all cables to include drilling holes in the handlebars to run them internally and ziptied to the frame. I cant wait to get this hawg finished and rolling down the street. If anyone has any tips, tricks or cool resources I'd be happy to receive them. Happy scooting everyone!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Joey,
Welcome to the forum from an old Miami native. You've got the right direction except for one thing. Do not rubber mount the engine. Resilient material will not eliminate the vibrations but simply transfer them to the engine mounts and fasteners. Mount the engine as solid to the frame as possible and live with what the engine produces. This is an old subject that has been hashed over here time and again.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

JoeyChop

May 30, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Thanks Tom, I will heed your advice and nix the tube idea. If there is anything else you could tell a rookie I got my ears on! I will definitely be posting more and look forward to becoming a solid member of this community.