Frame shape

GoldenMotor.com

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I have been looking for bikes and I have found a bike like this one that I can pick up relatively cheap. Here is a link to a youtube. Im particularly interesed in 44-46sec in the clip which would be the down tube. It looks like the motor would fit in the hole relatively easily but im abit concerned about mounting the engine to that downtube. Thanks in advance for your comments

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
ok well i got the bike.. It has vee brakes on the front end with front suspension as did my old bike. I was thinking of having a play and taking the bottom half of the forks off my old frame and swapping the rim aswell to give me disc brakes again. But has anyone got around to mounting the vee brakes in addition to the disc brakes and using a double cable lever?? Overkill?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've heard of folks runnin' two different types of brake on the same wheel & were quite happy w/it...

urm...

...I'm sorry, I cant seem to remember who tho :oops:

Anyhoo - I don't think there's sucha thing as too much stopping power, but I do think jus' disks would be fine if you don't wanna fuss w/it ;)

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
true might just change back to the disc brake i think its a better brake especially in wet conditions. I was just thinking about it some more and if i were to say panic and jump on the brakes to hard the last thing needed is a front end lock up.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've heard of folks runnin' two different types of brake on the same wheel & were quite happy w/it...

urm...

...I'm sorry, I cant seem to remember who tho :oops:

Anyhoo - I don't think there's sucha thing as too much stopping power, but I do think jus' disks would be fine if you don't wanna fuss w/it ;)
Yeah Barely, I' d be one of them....I run a v-brake and a disc brake from one lever on a Surley front fork. It stops quick and precisely along with a whimpish, but not bad band brake, separate lever for the rear stopper. From 35mph to 0mph FAST.

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Found that my new bike that I bought from ebay is faulty. The retaining nut/locking nut on the left hand side of the crank to keep it tight has a stripped thread. I noticed it had fallen off loose on my first ride. Tried to screw it back on by hand but the dam thing just screws up to about the pressure of like 1NM then strips around absolutely farkin spewin I steered away from buying a second hand bike from ebay for the very reason of maybe picking up a lemon. DOHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
So get another nut; it's just not a big deal. Make sure it's good and tight. Don't pedal the thing without the cranks firmly fastened, or you can wallow out the square hole in the crank arm.

As for your earlier comment about using the stronger brake on the rear, remember that due to forward weight shift when braking, the rear wheel skids MUCH more easily than the front. You can get about three times as much braking on the front wheel before your bike will begin to tip up, than you can get on the rear wheel before it skids.

Just about every time I have seen someone go over the bars from braking with the front, it was not from excessive braking force. It was from them flopping forward into the bars like a ragdoll and turning the bike over in the process. When braking hard, just push back against the bars as hard as necessary to hold yourself in place, and you won't do that.