Felt Tires - Thick Brick or Quick Brick? Chain Rubbing?

GoldenMotor.com

veniceverges

Jun 1, 2009
Venice, CA
I'm shopping around for wheels and tires for my build and I'm quite frankly confused as ****. I really love the fat tire look. I'm going for sort of a cafe racer/board track racer look and I've built it on a traditional Schwinn style frame. The bike right now has 26" x 2.125" rims on it. As far as tires go, the fatter the better. I love the Thick Bricks but they only come in 24". Is this going to look weird on my bike or just make it sit lower? As well, I've heard that these fatter tires can be problematic with rubbing on the chain. Has anybody run into this problem and if so, how did you get around it?
One option I thought I could do is put a Felt 3" wheel on the front and a Felt 2.125 wheel on the back with the Quick Brick or Thick Brick tires. I've learned that when you put the wide balloon tires on a 2.125 rim, they appear to not be so balloon-like...much more indicative of a regular tire width. Still if I could run with the 3" Felt wheels on the front and back, that would be ideal. If you've run into this dilemma, please help! Thanks.

PS. I'm building a custom tank and I see a lot of guys have these nice bungs or gas caps. I've look everywhere and can't find'em. If you have any good sources, please clue me in.

Attaching a current photo. Only about half way there. Those front forks need to be chopped still and a nice Brooks saddle will finish it off nicely.

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The 24X3" tires have almost the same height as standard cruiser tires.
The main problem with using 3" wide rear tires is chain/ tire/ frame clearance!
The best (& hardest way) to solve this problem is to off set the engine & rear sprocket.

veniceverges

Jun 1, 2009
Venice, CA
Thanks for the help VMB. I really don't want to offset the engine and sprocket if at all possible. Do you think using a 2.125 rim in the back could be the ticket?

As well, I saw in one of your threads that if the chains rubs, it's not really a big deal. I would have thought it would rub a hole right in the tire. Maybe not.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
The best (& hardest way) to solve this problem is to off set the engine & rear sprocket.
That's the plan on my build. I'm using the rear hub off a moped so it's already designed to work with a 3" tire. I plan on making an engine mount that's a hybrid between the Manic Mechanic mount and a 4 stroke mount to get the offset I need and the ability to move the engine fore and aft to adjust the drive chain tension.

Someday I'll have all the bits an pieces collected so I can make the darn thing instead of just talking about it. lol

AirPirate 32

Feb 24, 2011
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
veniceverges,

I'm about to start my second build and am trying for the 60's-70's small dicplacement Italian cafe look; think motobecane, bultaco...that sort of gig. On my last build, pretty much a stock bike with a 49cc, I learned that to get a bicycle to look like a purpose built small motobike, I'd need a beefy crusier frame, 66cc min., thick tires and custom tank/seat pod/clubman's or clip ons to get there. DId you buy the base bike with triple tree or install yourself? I'd love to see where you ended up on this project as I'm about right where you were here in '08.