Controls for motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

twalsh341

Apr 10, 2013
Philadelphia
Okay, I ride a motorcycle so I'm familiar with all of those "standard" controls, I'm going to layout the understanding I have of MB controls and I'm hoping someone can comment if I've got it all right or chime in if I'm missing something huge...

RH- Throttle grip and a break lever like usual (I'm guessing this is usually front break?)

Feet- Pedal power and rear break (if using a coaster rear break)

LH- Lever for clutch? (twist grip selector if using a 3 or 5 speed hub?)

Questions:
Do a lot of MB have no operable clutch? Meaning it makes engagement by itself and opens by itself?

If you had a rear drum break would you use the above and make LH lever the break? Can all of that even fit on the axle with pedal and drive sides?

What about power for lights from the engine, how could I do that (with a dynamo hub? do I "need" a rear break?

What about taking out the pedals entirely, or is this to get on the moped/motor cycle designation?

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Re: Controls for MB

RH- Throttle grip and a break lever like usual (I'm guessing this is usually front break?)
This would be correct. Some people use thumb throttle vs twist

LH- Lever for clutch? (twist grip selector if using a 3 or 5 speed hub?)
Also correct, although if using a thumb throttle on right, you can keep the twist shifter on the right.

Questions:
Do a lot of MB have no operable clutch? Meaning it makes engagement by itself and opens by itself?
Most, if not all the 4 stroke kits do have a centrifugal clutch. You can also get these clutch types for some 2 strokes but I do not know how they work

If you had a rear drum break would you use the above and make LH lever the break? Can all of that even fit on the axle with pedal and drive sides?
They make dual pull levers that can have 2 cables run to them although some will not recommend them (potential safety issue). As far as fit, look here. http://www.sportsmanflyer.blogspot.com/2011/08/heavy-duty-drum-brake-hubs.html

What about power for lights from the engine, how could I do that (with a dynamo hub? do I "need" a rear break?
That would work or go with rechargeable battery. can run a brake light off front brake lever.

What about taking out the pedals entirely, or is this to get on the moped/motor cycle designation?
Check local laws on this.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

I've got tachometer/hour counter, brake tail signal head lights, 7 function speedometer, mirrors, kill switch, cellphone holder, twist throttle 5 speed automatic transmission system. You can view my profile to look at my albums.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

That's pretty much the standard.. some have variations based on personal needs or comfort.

Depending on your build, the handlebars can get a little crowded, like mine.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Here is my setup. I do have an automatic (centrifugal) clutch, so no handlebar lever for that. My front brake lever is on my left, with a built-in brake light switch. The brake lever/hand control unit was from an old scooter or moped, and also had a horn button and turn signals, which I removed due to lack of necessity (hand signals and no horn). I installed a toggle switch where the horn button had been, and the switch controls my headlight. The only thing on my right side is my throttle and of course my kill switch is built into my throttle housing (standard on the kit type throttles, which I am using even though my bike is non-kit). So to recap, left is front brake, brake light, and headlight switch, right is throttle and kill switch. My headlight is powered by two 7.2v nicads, and my brake light by a separate, single 7.2v nicad. My batteries are strapped to my luggage rack with a clamp made of sheet metal, easily removable for wall charging. I have a 15 minute charger, so charging is a snap. With a dynamo hub, you will need a rectifier and voltage regulator to charge batteries.