old bike ID?

GoldenMotor.com

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
I know, pictures would help and I will try to get some posted. Asked a hoarder friend of mine if he had any old bikes and he came up with a couple for me. I think they are from the same manufacturer, braced front fork, skip tooth, parallel bars on top of the frame, rear adjusters, pinch bolt in the frame to tighten the seat, and one has the cast? frame pieces with the frame tubes welded or brazed in. The good blind ID feature they both have is the front sprocket, the holes are heart-shaped. Any ideas?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am far from an authority on old bikes but I remember seeing the heart shaped sprocket holes on a couple of classics that I looked at but couldn't afford.
Wait for a reply from either Silver Bear or Bairdco. They both have extensive knowledge about the older bikes. Congratulations on your fiind. They sound like good foundations for a motorized bicycle.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
So this one has a braced fork, rear wheel adjusting bolts, a lugged frame,twin top tubes, and a skiptooth sweetheart sprocket? I'm with Bairdco in that, altogether, it sounds to me more like an early Colson. I can't say I've seen too many early Schwinns that meet all those criteria, but they may yet exist. But after a decription like that, I want to see some pics too! That sounds like an awesome find. Please post pics.