fix this

GoldenMotor.com

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
building one working motor from two "80"cc motors. due to bolts stripping out. here we go, first the motor stripped a main bolt. so we replaced with larger bolt after tapping and threading new. now it did it again with the larger bolt. so i took the time to replace the bottom end of the motor with another i had laying around. removed the jug and piston from motor 1. used the clutch and carb from motor 1 on motor 2. got every thing adjusted and put back together. installed on the cruiser and guess what. this piece of **** wont start. tried every thing i could thing of in my wildest thoughts. its got spark, plugs wet from gas, intake manifold is tight (ie no air leak). what the **** am i missing? sparks like dancing on the sun, more than enough gas to power a car, compression enough to suck your eye out. what the **** am i doing wrong guys? :-||

Last edited:

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
nope, never touched this mag. it would free spin if wood pin was sheared off or fell out. thanks for the thought. wez

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
By the pictures it looks like you can mount the mag one way or turn it over and put it on that way as well but the timing would not be correct. If you have spark and compression and gas and air. Timing is the only thing left i can think of..Dont supposed you hooked up a light to your white wire did you? I had this problem once and the light was pulling too many amps from the magneto and would not start for nothing. Put on a pull start after pedaling my guts out and then replacing a part. More pedaling my guts out,more parts changing . Would hit some and try to gurgle to life but wouldnt start. I had replaced my old rear light with a flashlight bulb after mine burned out. Done it on a friends bike as well with a bulb from my 6v flashlight so i knew it would work. Didnt realize it was a kryptonite bulb. Pulled out the bulb ran great,plugged it in killed the engine. They never cease to amaze me ...Good luck and keep us posted on progress

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
the mag is floating magnet. it has no connections to it. the picture is incorrect. unless he sheared the wood key off. there is only one way to mount the magnet inside the magneto surround. it has to follow the key path in order to go on. his example is misleading. if my knowledge serves me, there is no timing in these motors. its a continues spark ignition. as long as the mag turns it gets spark. or it would have a timing gear, belt or chain. i took the time to put the #1 motor back together using some liquid metal on the bolt hole. will see if it fires today. i dig how you had a good idea. you should be a true elite member. thanks man.

Last edited:

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
oh, one more thing. i have not ran the white wire in any of my builds. and you should`nt either. it draws from the motor. could cause issues later. i have a custom 12v system we ran. i can describe it for you if your interested. it works better than anything i`ve seen here. i run full set of lights. headlight, tail light and turn signals. plus i have a way to run a closed system. it will recharge itself on a closed circuit. here`s another tip. never use the kill switch on the throttle control. its not a kill switch. its a shorting out switch. it does`nt kill the power. it just shorts the voltage signal. which may and probably will cause your cdi to go bad later. go to the local auto store or hardware store and get a key switch. its about $7.00. its a true kill switch. plus your ride is secure from being stolen. no key in switch, no start. ha ha! the bike in my avatar has 3600+ miles and still riding. going for 4000 before snow fall. wez

wezwheels

Sep 9, 2008
crap, i forgot to tell you. i use a high performance wire for my plug. accel radical yellow spark plug wire. from a car or truck wire set. i use the 7mm yellow. u can use the red but the yellow looks much better. with the plug attached to the wire, i can throw a spark almost two inches long. now that`s a fire!!! hahhahahha!

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Your rotor can go in backwards and mess up the timing. With the rotor level and key slot pointing up, it will be either in the 11 o'clock or the 1 o'clock position. You want it in the 1 o'clock. Try flipping your rotor around. The picture is correct btw.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
the mag is floating magnet. it has no connections to it. the picture is incorrect. unless he sheared the wood key off. there is only one way to mount the magnet inside the magneto surround. it has to follow the key path in order to go on. his example is misleading. if my knowledge serves me, there is no timing in these motors. its a continues spark ignition. as long as the mag turns it gets spark. or it would have a timing gear, belt or chain. i took the time to put the #1 motor back together using some liquid metal on the bolt hole. will see if it fires today. i dig how you had a good idea. you should be a true elite member. thanks man.
Magnet... no connections..correct
Coil.. Three wires Blue,black,and white. You CAN put the coil on reversed so the blue wire goes on top when correct.
The magnet CAN spin if the key is sheared...the magnet can get jammed on the crankshaft.
The magnet can indeed go on two different ways..as in the picture.
ALL motors have a piston/TDC and fire to spark plug timing.

You are so far out in left field it's unbelievable. Since you seem to know it all "Good luck"

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Aw c'mon Al, you know how frustrating a first build can be. He just doesn't realize the level of expertise of the advise that he's getting. If he doesn't want our advise, then 'ooh well'...

Onto the next one. :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry to disagree, Al, but the magneto coil will NOT go on two ways. You might get it on but you won't be able to install the mag cover. The coil is not centered on the core. It is in fact offset to one side. Try it and get back to me.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Sorry to disagree, Al, but the magneto coil will NOT go on two ways. You might get it on but you won't be able to install the mag cover. The coil is not centered on the core. It is in fact offset to one side. Try it and get back to me.
Tom

Incorrect..... Cover with coil installed wrong..... Correctly installed coil.....

If you think this can't be done, just read some of the posts from both NOOBS and those not mechanically inclined. The comment about the fact that these engines don't have a engine timing setting proves me out.

Aw c'mon Al, you know how frustrating a first build can be. He just doesn't realize the level of expertise of the advise that he's getting. If he doesn't want our advise, then 'ooh well'...

Onto the next one. :D
But the problem is that bad information is being put out there for whatever reason and someone will fall for it. People have a habit of reading so much then stop before the final word comes to light.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
No argument except that the coil, if installed incorrectly, will be forced against the engine case and it will not lay flush (perpendicular with the rotor) as designed. Anyone can put something together wrong...it takes some mechanical common sense to see that its wrong.
The coil can be installed upside down, as it were, but it should be obvious that something is not kosher. As for the rotor (magnet) it also can be installed wrong. My advice has always been to mark things before you take them apart if you're not familiar with the assembly. Thanks for the photos and correction.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
No argument except that the coil, if installed incorrectly, will be forced against the engine case and it will not lay flush (perpendicular with the rotor) as designed. Anyone can put something together wrong...it takes some mechanical common sense to see that its wrong.
The coil can be installed upside down, as it were, but it should be obvious that something is not kosher. As for the rotor (magnet) it also can be installed wrong. My advice has always been to mark things before you take them apart if you're not familiar with the assembly. Thanks for the photos and correction.
Tom
No problem...I've seen it done before and will most likely see it again.