A whats in your traveling tool box thread?

GoldenMotor.com

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Ok im still kinda new so hope no one did this thread topic already and hope there is an interest :) Kinda cool helps newbies stimulates the ol noggin too :)

Mine is a work in progrees but:

01.) Coleman mini multi tool with light.
02.) Assorted Metric Wrenches
03.) Master Links/Half Links
04.) 4 inches of chain
05.) spark plug
06.) Misc Allen wrenches
07.) several misc small screw drivers
08.) Small socket set
09.) small amsoil bottle
10.) A few rags
11.) Little screw top glass bottles of grease and anti sieze.
12.) Travekling first aid kit
13.) Spare washers, bolts, nuts, and carb idle screw.
14.) Spare Batteries
15.) Spoke wrench
16.) Clutch/Throttle cable (wire only)
17.) Black RV sealant (small tube)
18.) Carb O-ring
19.) Duct Tape
20.) Gorilla Super Glue
21.) Nail Hardener
22.) Small cable stop brass thing for clutch wire
23.) Fuel Line, Fuel Filter
24.) Zip Ties
25.) Misc small clamps
26.) Bailing wire
27.) Pocket Knife
28.) Patch kit
29.) rubber strips cut from innertube

All this goes into my dedicated handle bar bag. Solvents are kept in double ziplocked bags as are some of the misc parts and I used a nylon drill bit bag to wrap up tools. It may be an overkill but thats how I am :) Im trying to decide what to put in there for tire flats in addition to patch kit. And I need to find a mini pump or something.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I used to carry all kinds of crap, but never used any of it. On a long ride I will carry a pair of lock pliers, a 10mm wrench and a tire patch kit. (tire pump is always clipped on the frame.

That goes for the no-motorized rides as well. (except the 10mm wrench)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Most of the time, nothing other'n a thermos o'cawfee... but if I'm on a wanderabout distance run I'll bring a spare tube, mini pump & an adjustable wrench...

...and more cawfee ofc ;)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've stopped carrying tools with me a long time ago. About all I will carry is a spare tube, pump and enough tools to make small simple repairs if need be on long rides.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
haha Al.Fisherman... but I live in the boon docks I get a 3x3 mile area with service, spotty on the edges of that and done outside of that. If I go down I am on my own.

Plus I remember being in the middle of no where Wyoming in a 79 toyota cilica when the car bogged down and died. I looked under the hood and my distributer cap was broken. Just one piece remained about a third of it. I walked back and got the 4 pieces on the highway, duct taped it together and got to the next town.

Duct tape never leave home with out it :) Thank you Macgyver !

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Plus I remember being in the middle of no where Wyoming in a 79 toyota cilica when the car bogged down and died. I looked under the hood and my distributer cap was broken. Just one piece remained about a third of it. I walked back and got the 4 pieces on the highway, duct taped it together and got to the next town.

Duct tape never leave home with out it :) Thank you Macgyver !
Great thinking......
Back in 1970. I had a 68 Barracuda, and toasted a wheel bearing...On a Sunday no less (all auto parts closed back then). The inner bearing was wielded to the axle, had tools, and took a chisel and hammer, and after my hand was totally swollen I chipped it away, took a file and cleaned the axle. Across the highway, some guy had a junker Chrysler in his yard, and I bought the wheel bearing from him, installed it and what seemed forever working on it, drove off. No cell phones back then. Lasted till I got rid of the car. Let me tell you, it wasn't any easy job.

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
small metric an standard alen key set, lockin pliers ,wirecutters/strippers, electrical tape, the four most comon wrenches that fit my bike, a clutch saver, couple screwdrivers an 1 small prybar/ hammer, fuses ,tire patch kit,small tire pump, small bottle of 2 smoke oil an couple masterlinks, sparkplug an wrench,an old rag an my handcuffs.
its never given me a problem yet , now watch it will crap out on the next ride !
Gary

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Wrenches for the chain tensioner, random metric wrenches, allen wrenches, rags, screwdrivers and last but not least bungee cords.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't pack near as much as in that first post. But I guess I don't pack light either. I've got in my trunk:
tire pump
tire gauge
patch kit
tire levers
Multi-tool (spoke wrenches, box wrenches, allen wrenches, etc.)
flat head screwdriver
phillips head screwdriver
pliers
adjustable wrench
spark plug socket
spare plug
set of test leads with alligator clips
miniature battery/continuity tester
spare light bulbs
spare batteries
spare red clip-on emergency flasher
flashlight
zip ties
decent cable bike lock
I know there's more in there, but I'm having trouble recalling off the top of my head. Most of this stuff I've needed and even used at one time or another. And yes, there's still room left over in the trunk to carry other things home that I pick up along the way. It's a handy trunk.