yes, Master?

GoldenMotor.com

cowgirlupgrl

Jul 17, 2010
in the 505
Ok, so I got my bike up and running, .cs. was out having a blast. My husband even attached the kids trailer to it, so they were having a blast .crt. . Her maiden voyage took us around our block her by the house for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Then my mother-in-law called "come let me see". So off we went. She lives about 5 miles from us. We made it about a mile, maybe a mile and a half and my motor chain came off my wheel sprocket .duh. . I didn't bring a wrench, so i couldn't adjust the chain tensioner to make the chain tighter, so we just got the chain back on and off we go again. This time we make it about 1/2 mile and chain pops off wheel sprocket AND halfway off motor. We put chain back on and turn around to go home. We make it about 1/2 mile to the house, and chain comes off wheel again. At this point i am about to give up. "Let's just walk them home and fix them, babe" says I. He was riding his bike next to me. He puts the chain back and says, "one more time, ok?" and offers to take my bike and let me take his. Before he makes it 500 feet, the master link on my motor chain...SNAPS!!! .bf.

So here is my question, can I get another master link at a bike store? I am assuming not, since the bike chain and the motor chain are 2 different sizes. Do I have to order 1 (or several) online and wait for them to arrive? I got my motor from gasbike.com and they have some master links there, should I get some of those, are they good quality? Or should I get one somewhere else? If I could find one here in Albuquerque, and not have to wait on shipping, that would be awesome, but...

Help?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
My bike shop here where I live keeps the 415 chains in stock because he said that is the chain that has been used in the past on some real heavy duty road bike, just call the bike shop and ask if they have a master link for a heavy duty bike chain that has links that are 3/16" wide X 1/2" pitch which is the spacing between the rollers on the chain, if you ask for #415 master link they probably will not know what you are talking about, my bike shop knew what I was looking for when I gave him the chain size, but he had never heard of #415 chain before, they refer to it with different #'s for some reason.
Hope this helps, just give-em a call and see if they have the 3/16" X 1/2" chain & links for it and you will know real quick.
Good Luck and God Bless..........

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The kit chains are fatter, but the same link distance apart as a pedal chain.
Your local bike store should have 410H heavy duty KMC Z 'Freestyle' chain master links.
Bikes shops understand that.

You do need to find the cause of the problem though, especially toting a trailer with kids.

Since you have to mess with the drive chain anyway I would start by taking the tentioner off all together.
Then take your pedal chain off and link your drive chain to work without one so it is direct drive, then mess with the pedal chain.

Depending your luck you link the pedal side to not need one either, usually with a 1/2 link, but if not make the pedal side chain a tad too long and put the tentioner there.
As long as your rear and motor sprockets are aligned you won't have to mess with drive chain issues again.

If tentioners were a good thing on a motor drive chain, motorcycles would have them ;-}

Last edited:

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
I got my kits from Zoombicycles and they all came with 2 master links.

As for the chain tensioner ~ I would recommend getting rid of it. They pose a serious danger in that they move all too easily and can get caught in the spokes or drop the chain ~ either of which can ruin an otherwise very enjoyable ride...

All I had to do was remove an extra 2 links from my chains and the rear wheels/pedal chains had the right amount of slack to move the wheel back and make both chains tight. I also had to cut my fenders a little further, but it seems that everything about the increased security & smoothness of the ride makes it soo worth it. I've heard about chains stretching, but I'll adjust for that and overcome that issue if/when it ever happens.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've seen master links that size at Ace hardware, Fastenal, Grainger, and at industrial fastener stores. my advice is to get rid of it altogether. by a good chain breaker and just connect the chain without it.

the old adage; "weakest link in the chain" probably got started because of masterlinks...

skint

Jun 18, 2010
las vegas, nevada
Try taking the tensioner off, get the chain down to just enough links so that it has very little slack, then move the motor up a bit to tighten the chain. this works very will if you have the Sick Bike Parts front motor mount as it has some spring to it and will let you move the motor up or down in the back without causing too much trouble. as the chain gets broke in it will stop stretching and your all good.