Still sputtering/chugging

GoldenMotor.com

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I hope my motor sputtering/chugging is from the last time I got gas, though that does surprise me because I got it at Gate. Or . . .

The idle adjustment screw that goes in the carburetor might be the problem. I lost it somewhere. Today I found a screw at home that fit the hole and am using it. I remembered that the original screw had a spring on it too so I took the spring off of a ball point pen and am using that on the screw I found that fits. I might just need to keep tweaking it until I get is adjusted so it doesn't sputter, if that is the problem instead of the gas.

Any thoughts?

I sure am learning a lot about my bike, both the motorized part and general bicycle repair too. Tonight I had to replace inner tube for the first time, but I did it!

Other than periodically checking for loose screws, nuts, bolts, what other general maintenance do I need to do on a motorized bike?

Karen

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I hope my motor sputtering/chugging is from the last time I got gas, though that does surprise me because I got it at Gate. Or . . .

The idle adjustment screw that goes in the carburetor might be the problem. I lost it somewhere. Today I found a screw at home that fit the hole and am using it. I remembered that the original screw had a spring on it too so I took the spring off of a ball point pen and am using that on the screw I found that fits. I might just need to keep tweaking it until I get is adjusted so it doesn't sputter, if that is the problem instead of the gas.

Any thoughts?

I sure am learning a lot about my bike, both the motorized part and general bicycle repair too. Tonight I had to replace inner tube for the first time, but I did it!

Other than periodically checking for loose screws, nuts, bolts, what other general maintenance do I need to do on a motorized bike?

Karen
Biggest problem is it isn't a screw, it's a needle and it meters the flow of fuel at low RPM's. It will continue to sputter due to getting too much gas. If you can't find a new needle then a new carb is the only fix.

Sorry about the bad news :p

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Today I found a screw at home that fit the hole and am using it. I remembered that the original screw had a spring on it too so I took the spring off of a ball point pen and am using that on the screw I found that fits.

Any thoughts?
Your innocence and lack of mechanical knowledge are adorable. My thoughts are that I'm glad you're not a commercial-airline mechanic. ;) You DO get major points for "gumption" and "sticktoitiveness"; I admire your attempt at memory-based-repair.

The idle-screw is proprietary, so I doubt the one you used is adequate to maintain proper idle. The spring is also proprietary, and keeps the screw from moving around due to vibration. That said, the idle-screw is the least of your carb problems, although not having it is a major irritant; idle is not critical to a properly operating engine. I expect you have an NT carb. If so, these excellent devices are so CHEAP that you'd be better off buying a new one on eBay for $10 than trying to find replacement parts. Buy a new one and remove that problem from the equation.

Keep learning and don't give up! These kits are excellent engineering studies...you'll soon start having "ah HAAA!" moments.

PS:

Congrats on the inner-tube replacement! It seems like a simple task, but it's a VERY important skill around here. You'll soon level-up to actually PATCHING a tube!

Last edited:

KarenH

Sep 21, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
I was also wondering if the sputtering could be from too much oil in the gas/oil mixture?

Thanks Dan, I didn't know that about it being a needle meter. I've only had the bike since September. I've managed to do and learn quite a bit in that time. And I'm always ready to learn more.

Thanks Kioshk for the complement and encouragement. There have been times when I thought "there is no way I'm going to figure this out and get it running again" in the recent past. Thanks to this website and the help of fellow riders, I have surprised myself!

Where can I order a new carb other than bike-berry if possible. I'm not happy with them.

Karen

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've made those idler screws for the NT carbs when I needed shorter ones to clear frame tube on extended manifolds. No big deal if you file the tip into a pointy extension that fits into the ramp in the slide & is smooth enough to be turnable without lifting the slide erratically

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sounds to me like it's running rich, which is totally normal for a china engine. After break in, you can jet the carb to fix this.
I agree with the others, new carbs are dirt cheap.
I run my new engines with the needle clip second slot from the top. (Search to find out what this means as I don't have time to type it all out)
I run 40:1 right from day one, but some prefer 24 or 32:1 during break in period.
16:1 like the "manual" says is FAR too much oil!