"Newbe"

GoldenMotor.com

4jkeller

Aug 8, 2012
Granite City IL
Hey, searching the net to find information on installing a motor/kit on my cruiser and here I am. I'm looking forward to reading posts and hopefully learning some do's and dont's on my venture. This looks like fun.
Regards
Jeff

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome, Jeff, to our community. You've come to the right place for help, if you need it. There's a world of information here to get you on the road.

I have two old friends in Collinsville. Just a jump from you, huh?

Good luck, have fun.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard, Jeff. You'll have fun.

The best advice I can give is to simply start reading. Click on any headline that looks interesting and keep on doing it for a while.

You'll start to pick up info immediately. You'll be warned away from errors that others have made. In no time at all you'll start to get the notion of just which engine/drivetrain you want.

And you'll feel confident when you start your build.

It'll be worth it. These bikes need an attentive owner, but they're still a lot of fun and quite useful.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Welcome aboard! It's a good idea to set a budget and your base build (kit or fabrication setup) should start out with like 2/3 of your budget because you almost always run into some snag that's gonna cost a little something to fix. It is also good to know your mechanical aptitude. If you've never turned a screw you can't expect to be very successful very quick with the cheapest 2 stroke kits. Friction drives are the simplest. On the other hand you will learn tons by struggling thru making things work...nothing like hands on learning to turn a wrench.

Word of caution: these things are addictive & fun.

4jkeller

Aug 8, 2012
Granite City IL
Thanks George,
I have had bicycles since a kid and owe my mechanical aptitude to my father. then cars came into my life, work in auto parts though high school, Got a degree in electronics and repaired amusement equipment (pinball, video games juke boxs, etc.). Now I'm a QA engineer (test engineer) at a company in St. Louis Mo. I have always had some kind of project going on like lawn mowers and boats/motors. I think I will have lots of fun with this plus looks like a great conversation piece also.
I'll try to attach my bike prospect, looking on CL I'm thinking of offering $45 for their $60 bike.
That my story @50years old

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
That looks like a good bike to build on it is advisable to go with a steel frame as the vibrations tend to crack aluminum. Sounds like you have what it takes to have fun with this hobby. I'm 50 years old as well. Have fun! The other thing to consider is vendor some have better reputations than others.

4jkeller

Aug 8, 2012
Granite City IL
George
This is a "mart" repo I'm assuming its a steel frame. It's called a Schwinn Delmar. Does anyone know if its steel or not. I'm going to look at this weekend but if its aluminum I will not consider and save me 30min drive. (my truck dont get 100mpg)
Jeff

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay I found out it aluminum.
Thanks this forum just saved me time and money.
gota love it
Just food for thought, Jeff, but there are many successful aluminum bikes around. There's plenty to read also. Use keyords 'aluminum frame' in the Google Custom Search and you'll have a lot to read and consider. The big advantage to a steel frame is the fact that most novice welders can do their own welding, if the need arises whereby if the frame is aluminum it takes some skills/equipment that most don't have.

Personally I prefer steel frames because I do custom work such as engine mounts and modifications that are much easier due to my lack of skill at welding aluminum.

As I said, do some reading and decide for yourself. You can also research the bike by name here. It's not an uncommon choice.
Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Tom

4jkeller

Aug 8, 2012
Granite City IL
Thanks Tom,
I have seen this bike done in a kit. I have allot to read/learn and more time than money, thanks for the good advice. However I do like the retro look without modifying a classic/antique